Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By VetPsychWars
  • 2 Post By TrumpetMD
  • 1 Post By gbshelbymi
  • 1 Post By gmonady
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Honeymoon is over in the General forums; So I've been hacking away with my (relatively) new CarolBrass pocket trumpet. Love the sound and feel, but... honeymoon is ...

Honeymoon is over

So I've been hacking away with my (relatively) new CarolBrass pocket trumpet. Love the sound and feel, but... honeymoon is over. It builds up spit or condensation like a rainforest, which I've figured out how to deal with. The 1st valve slide rattles because it's so loose. Fixed that with extra slide goop.

But this last one has me stumped. The 2nd valve sticks down, even when I've just oiled it. What I've discovered is the valve itself rotates a tiny bit even after I "locked" it in after oiling. (You know how you rotate it a bit after oiling until the little pin thingy falls into it's slot). So when it gets rotated slightly as I'm playing, it gets stuck down. What do I do? My old student horn's valves rotate a tiny bit but never get stuck.
    bah do dweeeee bah do bleep blop

New York State USA

Re: Honeymoon is over

sorry to hear that about your new instrument -- perhaps a tech can look at it. They might be able to build up the little pin so it doesn't rotate at all, then that might solve the problem.
    1991 King Silver Flair
    1953 Olds Super (LA)
    1979 King KG1055T (pre UMI) Silver Flair
    1940? Olds Ambassador (LA) tenor trombone

I'm not responsible for offending people -- people are responsible for themselves taking offense at me

Fortissimo User
    Greenfield WI

I'd see about sending it back.

Buescher Lightweight 400
    Other Buescher horns 1939--1955
    Al Cass 1-28 mouthpiece
    Humes and Berg mutes

Sunny Ca.

Loosen that bottom cap a bit, see if that makes a difference.....
    " It's a dog eat dog world out there and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear" Norm Peterson "Cheers"

"No matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up" Lilly Tomlin

Sorry to hear about your difficulties. I've owned a Carol Brass Pocket Trumpet for almost 2 years now. I use it to practice regularly at work.

It's a good trumpet for me, and has held up well. But it's not at the level of my Bach or Getzen horns. Part of this is because it's not a professional trumpet. Another issue might be the design compromise required for Pocket Trumpets in general.

I also have a problem with water buildup. It tends to build up fast (or at least it seems to, maybe because of the tight wrapping). It seems to be worse in cold weather. My approach is to empty out the water early and often.

I also had problems with sticking valves at first. I had the same problem with my Stradivarius after I had the valves rebuilt. I oiled the valves daily. Anytime the valves would stick, I would swap the casings and the valves with a microfiber rag and re-oil the valves. It took a few weeks, maybe a month or so. But after that, the valves worked great.

The case is also on the cheaper side. But hey, it's only a $600 horn. One of the latches stopped working after about a year. I purchased a Guard Cornet Gig Bag, which works great.

Bach Stradivarius 43* (1974), Bach 3C Mouthpiece.
    Getzen 896 Eterna Flugelhorn (1974), Curry 3FL Mouthpiece.
    Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, and Besson horns.

Travelers Rest, SC

I had valve issues when I first got my Carol cornet. Same treatment as TrumpetMD stated... Wipe down the valves, swab out the casings, re-oil. They're in great shape now (about 6 months old).

Oh... My cornet also gathers "water" faster than the Hoover Dam.
    coolerdave likes this.
    Getzen 3850 Custom cornet - 70s Bach 180ML37 - 70s Bach CL 229 25C - Kanstul 1525 Flugelhorn - CarolBrass CTR-5000L-YLT-SLB - CarolBrass pocket trumpet - Bill Jones Custom Piccolo - 40 Conn 80A Cornet - 55 Conn 18A - ACB Doubler Rose Flugelhorn - Dieter Otto flugelhorn

Thanks all, I'll give these a try and it's nice to know this problem isn't totally unique to my horn.
    bah do dweeeee bah do bleep blop

San Pedro

When I have an instrument that gathers water I add a few drops of valve oil down the lead pipe each time I play. It seems to help.
    If you can sound Taps please take a few minutes and check out this site.
    Bugles Across America > Home

Dayton, Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by VetPsychWars View Post
    I'd see about sending it back.

I agree with Tom... time for an annulment.
    ConnDirectorFan likes this.
    1940 Olds Super Recording
    1946 Martin Committee
    1953 Olds Recording (LA)
    1965 Olds Ambassador
    1967 Olds Recording (Fullerton)
    1973 Getzen 4 Valve Eterna Flugelhorn
    2012 Kanstul 4 Valve 1526 Flugelhorn
    2014 Allora Pocket Trumpet

Thread Information