Trumpet Discussion Discuss Horn Care in the General forums; So as you can see from my signature, I've been blessed with a beautiful new horn. It is quite clearly ...
    Pianissimo User
    Winnipeg, Manitoba

Horn Care

So as you can see from my signature, I've been blessed with a beautiful new horn. It is quite clearly in my best interests to keep excellent care of this horn. As such, I've got a few questions.

-I'm doing proper maintainence on the valves and slides every day. When I was oiling the valves this morning, in the right light, there was a score line down the 1st valve and the 3rd valve. If I was looking at it straight on, there was nothing there. Is this anything to worry about?

-There are small dark blemishes on the valve in some spots. Should wiping down the valve be dealing with this?

Up on the spring covering, there's a dot about the size of an "o" beside the "2" that looks copper-y. Should I be concerned about this?

-I don't want to over-polish the silver with the polishing cloth. Should I use a 100% cotton cloth or a microfiber cloth on the outside to deal with fingerprints or is it okay to use the polishing cloth after every use?

-I bought a valve guard (the Leather Specialties one with the leadpipe/bell extension to cover the right thumb and left index knuckle respectively) and the velcro on the overlapping section is a little bit bigger than the "receptive" velcro, so some of the "biting" velcro is touching the underside of the leadpipe. Cause for concern?

Thanks for putting up with this. I'm probably being a little bit paranoid about this, but I'm pretty determined to keep this horn well. Bobby Shew told us in a masterclass that we should keep our horns as a Marine would keep their rifle or as a French chef would keep their utensils, and I think that's a good thing to keep in mind.

2009 Yamaha Xeno 8335RGS/Bach 3C
    Getzen 300 Series
    Yamaha 16C4-GP
    Yamaha Bobby Shew Jazz
    Getzen 7C

Greensboro, NC

Re: Horn Care

I wrote a paper on trumpet. I'll be glad to send it to you. Just contact me of site.
    Bob Grier, An Old Pro
    Web Cam trumpet & jazz improvisation lessons

Thread Information