Trumpet Discussion Discuss horn overhaul! in the General forums; I just got my callet back from a full overhaul at dillons music ( http://www.dillonmusic.com/ ) and they did a ...

horn overhaul!

I just got my callet back from a full overhaul at dillons music (http://www.dillonmusic.com/) and they did a GREAT job! I highly recommend them. I needed some pretty difficult things done, and now you cant even tell its ever been messed up or worked on. I highly recommend them! I bought the horn at dillons, Ive bought other stuff at dillons, and now this, theyre just great! I highly recommend them!
    Bach strad 180s ML 37 melk 525, mk sterling semi round slide
    Curry 60m
    blessing anniversary flugel curry 3fl
    www.AlsMusicShopNY.com
    Al's Music Shop
    Specializing in unique and hard to find instruments.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/TrumpetsForSale/

Fortissimo User
    Always good to know about overhaul shops that do a GOOD JOB. Just my opinion (which, when combined with $0.35 will buy you a local phone call just about anywhere in North America), but too often we determine to throw out or "junk" old horns that are entirely "restoreable" (and for which we'll undoubtedly rue our decision at some point later in our lives). I don't suppose there is any chance you might be able to post a picture or two of the work and describe what they did and the price? (at least "the price" within a "bus or breadbox" kind of estimate?)

(I'm equally strong on good repair persons who can pull dents, unfreeze slides, align 3rds, etc and who do so "while you wait" and don't cost an arm and a leg). The true craftsmen, of course, are the guys like Leigh, Wayne Tanabe, and Rich Ita who are the trumpet equivalents of George Barris. (Probably before the time of you young'uns but I remember buying all the customizing mags and dreaming of the day when I would own a "hot rod" of my own!)

By the way...anybody who knows how to post pictures to a website please (PLEASE!) contact me via email or PM! I'm tired of using the websites of others to put pictures up and although I can get text onto my "own" website (in a very crude form of development at present), I'm at a loss as to how to post a picture or photo!.

What was their price? My 1949 model 48 holton plays well but could do with a great restoration - i tried back in 9th grade and the place that restored it didn't even re-lacquer it when I asked for a full restoration, and they filed the valves instead of replating them. Maybe I should have been more specific?
    ~Annie

*I may not be great yet, but I'm working hard on it and one day I'm gonna be there.*

ok, the price, an amazing $55! way cheaper than I expected, and they even did more than I wanted! unfortunatly I do not have any "before" shots of the horn, but the bell was messed up quite a bit, the bell crook had dents, there was a dent on the second valve slide and a few other random dents throught the horn, they fixed them all! and here the kicker I had a blackburn leadpipe on it, which was made for bach and it was to long so the slide did not go in on the way and the callet slide was to small to match it, they cut the leadpipe to match the horn, and cut off the top tube on my tuning slide and replaced it with a bach one so it would match the tuning slide (cant even tell its been soldered, amazing). not to mention they polised the whole horn to a high shine, which I never even asked for. as soon as I get my hands on a digital camera I will post pictures of the horn now and point out exactly what they did. p.s it was done by frank at dillons. Great job!
    Bach strad 180s ML 37 melk 525, mk sterling semi round slide
    Curry 60m
    blessing anniversary flugel curry 3fl
    www.AlsMusicShopNY.com
    Al's Music Shop
    Specializing in unique and hard to find instruments.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/TrumpetsForSale/

Fortissimo User
    There you go! A good techie is worth their weight in gold plate!

Edit: And you'll find that's true regardless of WHAT you are getting repaired, including industrial equipment, commercial, vehicles, houses... you name it! (There's a lesson there if someone happens to be looking for a career and wonders what to get into.)

AWESOME!
    ~Annie

*I may not be great yet, but I'm working hard on it and one day I'm gonna be there.*

Thread Information