Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss HornHaven Launched (was Airstream Music) in the General forums; Remember Airstream Music? They're now HornHaven at: http://www.hornhaven.com/ They have great products, like GR mouthpieces, Stomvi trumpets, Miraphone (I think ...
    Mezzo Piano User

HornHaven Launched (was Airstream Music)

Remember Airstream Music? They're now HornHaven at:
    http://www.hornhaven.com/

They have great products, like GR mouthpieces, Stomvi trumpets, Miraphone (I think they have an exclusive for the Stomvi USA model) and other products.

They had to change their name due to the similarity to the famous travel-trailer company. It's still Dave Leonnig, based in the Dallas area.

I'm sure that a number of you met Dave at ITG.

Best regards,

Dave
    Schilke '60 B1
    Selmer Paris -- '57 #20 K-Modified/
    '03 Concept TT w/ GR66.8B2.8
    '94 Lawler TL cornet w/ Sparx 2B
    Conn Vintage One flugel - GR66FD
    www.pitpops.com www.ucm-inc.com
    Rocky Mountain Trumpet Fest

New Friend
    Hey Dave,
    I have just recently started taking lessons from Bert Truax and he has recommed you store as a place to buy a GR 65MX and a Shew 1. I was wondering do you carry any other sizes of GR mouthpieces or is your store like Mr. E's where you only carry the most popular sizes?

Mezzo Piano User
    Yes, J, Horn Haven has a broad selection of GR and Marc. mpcs. Call Dave Leonnig and speak to him today. You can either go to his place and try a few, or he could take a few to Bert's studio for you to try with Bert listening (no pressure). Depending on the mpc you're coming from and the trumpet you're using, the 65,66 and 67 ranges offer a broad set of possibilities. The MX is a great legit mpc with potential to give a really vibrant, resonant sound. Different players may get the same effect with an M, MX or L. It really depends on the player and horn.

Bert plays the 65MX and a Shew 1.5, I believe. On flugel he uses the 65FD.

BTW, I'm not affiliated with Horn Haven, other than as a customer and friend. If you see Bert between now and Saturday, tell him Dave Stephens and the rest of the PitPops are hoping he'll sit in at Enchilada's after his other gig (I can always use a little help in the 3d and 4th sets). We're all very pleased to hear that he's regained his health and playing again.

Dave
    Schilke '60 B1

New Friend
    THanks for all the info, the one and only problem is that I just got my wisdo teeth taken out yesterday and won't stard lessons until school starts up again. I was planning on trying out some of Bert's mouthpieces at the next leson. I have never been to hornhaven so I did not know what kind of bisness they run even though I went to the website.

I alo have another question...
    I played on Bert's 65MX that is gold plated, what was weird is that the gold felt much softer then my 16C4 gold plated. Does hornhaven plated diferently than others or the gold different?

Mezzo Piano User
    GRs, in general (particularly Bert's and mine) are gold plated at Anderson, to GR's very high standards, SO the gold plate may feel different than other gold plate. GR's is very thick and dense, leading to a softer and more slippery feel.

Dave
    Schilke '60 B1

New Friend
    OK that is what I wanted, the reason I asked is because I wanted to get my mouthpieces gold plated for marching band mainly because i will play several hours aday. I played on Bert's 65MX and the feeling was indescribable. The sound was crisp, centered, and it projected.

Mezzo Piano User
    Which band are you in? My daughter is a senior at Lake Highlands this year.

Dave
    Schilke '60 B1

New Friend
    I'm first chair at Fossil Ridge HS in Keller.

Mezzo Piano User
    I've heard that Keller has great schools. You drive a long ways for your lessons with Bert, don't you?

Bert's sitting in with my rock/funk/soul band tonight (after he plays a wedding). He's a great guy and a super trumpeter.

Dave
    Schilke '60 B1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information