Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Like Tree14Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Horrible day in the General forums; Originally Posted by frankmike this is typical overpractice try to scale down practice from 3 hours to 20 minutes 20 ...
    Mezzo Piano User

Re: Horrible day

Quote Originally Posted by frankmike View Post
    this is typical overpractice

try to scale down practice from 3 hours to 20 minutes

20 minutes is enough for an amateur player

3 hours is for proffesionals -and you are not preffesional.
    I would respectfully disagree! When I was in high school, specifically the summer before and thru my senior year, I was playing my horn 6 to 8 hours a day. Some of this time was in concentrated practice and much of it was the different bands I was in. I wasn't a professional but I had ambitions of being one. I did not become a professional, I was actually talked out of it by a professional but that's another story, but I am trying to increase my practice time each day in the hopes of getting just close to what I had in high school. I think the most important issue here is the motivation, I want to do it for ME.

Ray Z
    If you don't know where you are going it doesn't matter how you get there.

Utimate User
    Jackson NC

Re: Horrible day

I do not believe any PRO actually plays 6 to 8 hours a day. Like any job, they may be at their music stand for 6 to 8 hours with meal and rest room breaks, but very few songs today call for a lead instrumentalist to play continuosly through it exempting the rest notations. For me, in the context of utilizing a trumpet, the word "play" means to produce the exact note that the music calls for when and how it calls for it. To account for the passing of time during my practice, I count only the moments I've the mouthpiece on my lips producing a note, thus I prefer to refer to it as "lip time". While practicing, I personally now have a "lip time" of 30 minutes and a Rest of 15 minutes, while the beginning students I've tutored are on an alternating cycle of 20 minutes "LIP", 20 minutes rest and it is during their rest I talk and demonstrate.

I really yet don't know the specifics of it, but impacted ear wax has temporarily (I hope) deafened me thus it is presently futile for me to practice or tutor.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread Information