Trumpet Discussion Discuss Houston Trumpet Fest? in the General forums; I was just curious if anyone had considered having a trumpet fest around Christmas time(I'll be home from Germany....yeah!)? Maybe ...
    Mezzo Piano User

Houston Trumpet Fest?

I was just curious if anyone had considered having a trumpet fest around Christmas time(I'll be home from Germany....yeah!)?

Maybe do a day of horn testing and a clinic and then get together somewhere and play a ton of Christmas Carols for the public late in the afternoon. Maybe at the Galleria?

I know it's a bit early but it takes time to arrange things, to include the music for 20 or more trumpets. Maybe we could even use flugels, cornets, etc.?

I could not handle all the details because I am in Germany but would be willing to help out with what ever I could. Any takers?

Please don't bash me for thinking of it this early but I'm just in a Christmasy mood today.
    Mike
    Eclipse MHY Bell
    1949 Olds Ambassador

Listening has nothing to do with moving your mouth!

Mezzo Forte User bigaggietrumpet's Avatar
    This is a great idea. I can probably do some arrangements this summer when I don't have so many #!@$ classes.
    Michael Smith
    Hullabaloo: The official band of Texas A&M Basketball
    Kanstul 1537/ Schilke 14
    LA Olds Studio

Pianissimo User
    I called Bruce Lee and asked him if he would be available to help us out with this, since he helped to organize the Atlanta holliday fest the last couple of years. There is a very good chance Bruce can help us down in Houston, and he already has music for the occasion. Besides, he can bring such a nice collection of really great horns to test!!!
    S.T.

What do we have that we did not receive, and if we received it, why do we glory, as if we received it not?

I would love to see this happen.
    Michael Smith
    Kanstul 1537/ Schilke 14
    LA Olds Studio

Pianissimo User
    Attention, SlimShady, and Eddie Lewis,

Are you guys interested in helping us out with this? We would have it early enough in the afternoon as to not interfer with any night time gigs.

I don't live in Houston, but I'm close. I'm certainly willing to help, if there are some guys closer to Houston, who want to try to put this thing on.

Mostly we need a place to rehearse and meet for the weekend of December 11th. (That's the weekend that Bruce can make it) Any suggestions? I don't know what type of arrangements we'd need to make in order to perform at the Gallaria or some other suitable place in Houston. But it really shouldn't be too tough to put this on. I think it would be a lot of fun too.

If any of you have suggestions, send me a PM. And thanks TM, for the suggestion about forum advertising.
    S.T.

What do we have that we did not receive, and if we received it, why do we glory, as if we received it not?

Mezzo Piano User
    I know that there are some trumpet players over on TH that are also from Houston. I'll talk to the ones I know and see if they are interested. There are also some here that I have not seen in a while.

Admin, that would be groovy to post it in the special events forum........just maybe a little closer to Christmas.

Maybe the Reverend can suggest a place to meet.

I've got some quartet stuff that I can alter or just divide them up for different guys to play.

I know a woman who may have some connections at the Galleria so I'll see what I can dig up there.

Where do you live when you're not at A&M Aggietrumpet? Don't want you driving too late at night to get back for a Monday morning final exam.

Thanks for showing such interest guys. I didn't think the wheels would turn this soon seeing as how Christmas is so far away.
    Mike
    Eclipse MHY Bell
    1949 Olds Ambassador

Mezzo Piano User
    I haven't really worked out any details, but I expect to have the second annual DFW Trumpetfest in November. Sorry, but the Christmas time doesn't look good for us AND we wouldn't want to conflict with our good neighbors to the South. At least one or two guys attended both.

Dave
    Schilke '60 B1
    Selmer Paris -- '57 #20 K-Modified/
    '03 Concept TT w/ GR66.8B2.8
    '94 Lawler TL cornet w/ Sparx 2B
    Conn Vintage One flugel - GR66FD
    www.pitpops.com www.ucm-inc.com
    Rocky Mountain Trumpet Fest

Ok, so, everybody just seems to plan stuff when the college guy CAN'T do them. November isn't great, but if you just give me a more certain date I'll know and plan for it.

December 11...ouch. That's the weekend right before finals. Luckily, I can get to Houston in probably anywhere from an hour to 2, traffic and cops pending

I do intend to still write a piece for a large trumpet ensemble regardless of what ya'll have. I just think it'd be fun to try.
    Michael Smith
    Kanstul 1537/ Schilke 14
    LA Olds Studio

Mezzo Piano User
    DC,

Thanks for the hospitality. Wish I could get to the DFW fest as well but I'll still be in Germany in November. Any advice you might have concerning the get-together would be appreciated.

Aggie,

I know how you feel. All these cool trumpet things and having to study. I wanted to do so many trumpet things in college but studying ALWAYS seemed to get in the way. Once I'm back in Houston for good, maybe I'll see about having something in the summer that more college and high school students can attend without worrying about scheduling conflicts. That's still a few years until my Germany gig is over though.
    Mike
    Eclipse MHY Bell
    1949 Olds Ambassador

Thread Information