Trumpet Discussion Discuss how to align valves at home in the General forums; With the middle valve slide out, what should you see in the casing hole when the valve is down and ...
    Mezzo Piano User

how to align valves at home

With the middle valve slide out, what should you see in the casing hole when the valve is down and up for proper valve alignment?

Re: how to align valves at home

When the valve is up, you should see part of the lower hole and the valve.
    When you press the valve down, you should see just the holes (nothing?) or I
    guess the back part of the casing.
    My guess is that if improperly aligned more of the valve is showing? But can you really tell 1/32 of an inch?

when the valve is down, the holes should line up perfectly. To get the alignment in the up position you need special mirrors or a surgical endoscope. The first valve sometime works the same way. The third valve needs the endoscope or mirrors for the up and down positions. To use the mirrors, you remove the first and third valve when doing the second. That way you can see the ports in the up position.

Getting the valves done may or may not be critical, but when the horn is perfect, we have one less excuse!
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Mezzo Piano User

rowuk, In addressing the 2nd valve alignment. With the first and third valve out, and the corresponding slides out as well, and the 2nd valve in the up position, should the 2nd valve ports be equal with all four ports on the flanking slides?

Quote Originally Posted by crowmadic View Post
    rowuk, In addressing the 2nd valve alignment. With the first and third valve out, and the corresponding slides out as well, and the 2nd valve in the up position, should the 2nd valve ports be equal with all four ports on the flanking slides?
    Should be, yes, but whether it really happens without major effort is the question. My Monette is, most of the Schilkes and better Yamahas are, my Bach and Selmer are not. Most of the time you just have to go with the best comprimise.

The best alignment is with my natural trumpet, followed by the rotary valved instruments
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Quote Originally Posted by rowuk View Post
    Getting the valves done may or may not be critical, but when the horn is perfect, we have one less excuse!
    Man, I really like the way you think!

Mezzo Piano User

thanks to rowuk and all.................. crow

Thread Information