Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Trumpet Discussion Discuss How do I fix my trumpet finish? in the General forums; Rowuk's advice is good. Just play it and save your money for another horn. The TR300 is only a mediocre ...
    Ithaca NY

Re: How do I fix my trumpet finish?

Rowuk's advice is good. Just play it and save your money for another horn. The TR300 is only a mediocre horn anyway. Don't throw any more $ at it.
    Nothing is more contagious or tenacious than music. Once you are exposed it gets inside you and you can never get rid of it. It is also non-discriminating. It can be Ride of the Valkyries, In a Gadda da Vida, the Jeopardy 15 second thinking tune, your most disliked commercial jingle - it doesn't matter. Once triggered, off you go, like it or not.

Third spamahorn post I've seen this morning! Buy that, the lip massager, and a ringmute and you have the trifecta of worthless trumpet gear for Christmas! HO HO HO !!!!
    Knowledge is freedom, and ignorance is slavery - Miles Davis

The difference between a beginner and pro mouthpiece is practice - tobylou8

Nobody has learned how to play the trumpet. It's endless. - Maynard Ferguson

Don't be afraid to try something different. The Ark was built by an amateur and the Titanic was built by a group of experienced engineers.

By the inch it's a cinch, by the yard, it's hard!

Forte User

Quote Originally Posted by gzent View Post
    WTF?! Warmahorn? Sure, if you want your horn to sound like it is has a sock on it!

Probably the most ridiculous, pointless trumpet accessory I've ever seen.
    Easy there gzent.

One man's trash is another man's treasure. right?

I could see marching bands using them, trumpet players who want a little extra protection when using gig bags, etc, finding a use for those things.

Maybe not the best choice for most legit settings, but everything has its place...

Rochester, MN

Quote Originally Posted by Warmahorn View Post
    Cool reply! They're about fun & colour & protection.....sounds like a good thing for brass? Check out Andrea Bocelli's trumpet players take on it....Warmahorn - Testimonials
    Please stop injecting your unwanted advertising into every post that concerns a trumpet's appearance, its getting annoying.
    Stop acting like someone shot your dog.

Quote Originally Posted by gzent View Post
    It is possible to get the horn looking shiny again without replating.

The thing is, it takes a LOT of time. The process to do this is called burnishing.
    I assume most brass techs that have worked in a repair shop for a while are
    competent at this. The deal is to slowly rub the scratched metal with another piece
    of very smooth metal, usually a hand held tool (I use an old table spoon I buffed
    out). When it is done right you can really make scratches nearly disappear since you
    are pushing the ridges created by scratching down flat rather than removing metal
    as you would with a buffer.

To avoid introducing new scratches you have to constantly keep the tool smooth, which means buffing the tool itself every so often so it doesn't get a scratch that in turn scratches the horn.

As you can see, this is quite time consuming if you are working on a scratch of any size, so most techs aren't too keen on doing this on anything but the most expensive instruments, they'd prefer just to buff the horn.

I wouldn't advise anyone to try this on an instrument of any value without a lot of practice
    on a "junker" first. Burnishing requires a LOT of force and control and you can easily slip
    up and make a mess.

I just wanted to share the info on how to do this right - IF you have the time and skill.

Burnishing can also work-harden the metal if you are pressing hard over a mandril.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information