Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss How do I play higher? in the General forums; I'm no high range guy, but am working on a technique with tongue arch where I control the flow/velocity at ...
    Great Southern Land

Re: How do I play higher?

I'm no high range guy, but am working on a technique with tongue arch where I control the flow/velocity at the top of my mouth which so far is allowing me fairly well controlled sound up to about G above C over the staff. I'm still developing this - it takes a little mental preparation to adjust to it but when I do it seems easy and I'm keeping the pressure off. Some days though it doesn't "lock in" - but it's early days yet.

Now I'm pursuing just one method which seems to work for me -- without resetting chops I can play back in the staff, then get back up high again. I relate this only to indicate that you need never stop learning or developing. I played up to "high C" tops on my regular mouthpiece for 30 years before I started trying to play above that.

I used to use a Jet-Tone T3D mouthpiece with a lot of pressure to play higher, and I could for very short amounts of time before my lips were shot, but that mouthpiece gave me a very harsh tone on the whole which didn't suit me so much.

P.S. wasn't there some warmly entertaining guy pushing his high range method/training posting to TM in the last few months?
    Last edited by bumblebee; 04-07-2011 at 07:15 PM. Reason: added PS

Ithaca NY

Start at the bottom, and ascend.
    Nothing is more contagious or tenacious than music. Once you are exposed it gets inside you and you can never get rid of it. It is also non-discriminating. It can be Ride of the Valkyries, In a Gadda da Vida, the Jeopardy 15 second thinking tune, your most disliked commercial jingle - it doesn't matter. Once triggered, off you go, like it or not.

Come on Veery. I expected you to say start super high and work your way down to high. :)
    Olds Supers, LA (1953), Ful. (1962)
    Olds Recording, LA (1952)
    Olds Studio, LA (1953)
    Olds Special, Ful. (1964)
    Olds Ambassador, LA (1954)
    Olds Ambassador, Ful. (1973)
    Bach Strads 37-(1967, 1970, 1974, 1982)
    Bach Strad 72 MLV (1973), 72* (1982)
    Kanstul 1500 (2002), 1502 (2008), 1503 (2002)
    Kanstul 1537 (2007)
    Kanstul Chicago (2000)
    Kanstul 1510 C
    King Liberty (1929,1929)
    King Liberty 2 (1938, 1944)
    King Liberty 2b (1950)
    J.H. Darby 45 USA
    Holton (Revelation) 1924
    Kanstul 1525 Flugelhorn

Banned Fortissimo User
    Florida, US

I finally found out how, I am working on my range, and the best way to go higher without screaming is to blow super hard. Dont worry about loudness or bad tone at first, just hold the note as long as you can. Start at a high C and go chromatically up. hope it helps.

Fortissimo User
    Lloyd Harbor NY.

I used to be afeared of high ranges until Xanax let me climb to the roof with no anxiety.

Quote Originally Posted by conntribution View Post
    i used to be afeared of high ranges until xanax let me climb to the roof with no anxiety.
    Knowledge is freedom, and ignorance is slavery - Miles Davis

The difference between a beginner and pro mouthpiece is practice - tobylou8

Nobody has learned how to play the trumpet. It's endless. - Maynard Ferguson

Don't be afraid to try something different. The Ark was built by an amateur and the Titanic was built by a group of experienced engineers.

By the inch it's a cinch, by the yard, it's hard!

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown

Cut & Paste from a previous post.:
    A great exercise for learning control is to practice what my professor, Gerald Webster called "Ghost Tones." Take a note (say, for example, g in the staff) and without tonguing, play it so softly that the sound really doesn't leave the bell--it will get trapped inside and not project.

This is really hard to do!

To learn the feeling, practice decrescendos with the sound going down to nothing. If the note stops, keep trying until you get it down to next to nothing. When you get this down, try the original exercise.

Not to worry--soft playing requires more embouchure strength than playing loudly. Then, when you apply power the notes should pop out.

Have fun!
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

San Pedro

I use something very similar to TobyLou8 ... I have added to it with ideas and suggestions I have gotten here... slurs, pedals and patience.
    now this is just my gut and opinion so take it leave it... what ever you want
    I do think that their is a "knack" to playing above the high D or E ... I feel like the tone changes it gets a little thinner ... that being said I think that as we build up our chops the C or D fuller tone range also increases ... I don't know if it's getting the lips to vibrate faster or getting the airflow to match the vibration or just getting use to the horns resonance.. or if it's mental just seems like one day you wind up on the otherside of the C and D.
    The more you practice (properly) and the stronger your chops become the easier it will be to get the knack of playing higher with less risk of injury.
    If you can sound Taps please take a few minutes and check out this site.
    Bugles Across America > Home

Pianissimo User

To the comments regarding how i should learn how to play within my range, you have no clue to how i play. And isnt the whole point in playing to improve at everything when you practice? including your range? Its not the most important thing but, it can be usefull.

to the helpfull comments, thanks very much. Ill try them and see what works :)

Ill update this if i have a break though :)

Thanks again, Harvey

Dayton, Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by Conntribution View Post
    I used to be afeared of high ranges until Xanax let me climb to the roof with no anxiety.
    Your point is well taken. Relaxation is a key to working toward a higher range. My concern is when people feel they need controlled substances to do this. Propranolol is a non-addicting medication used in treating performance anxiety. As a physician, I would recommend this over Xanax.

Xanax comes with the warning that people taking this medication should not be using or working with heavy machinery (this includes cars - so I hope some one is driving you to the gig while on Xanax). This is because it effects coordination and causes sedation. This could also effect the quality of horn playing.

I would also recommend stress reduction techniques just prior to a gig over taking any kind of medication any time. This involves a technique that uses isometrics to work muscle groups while concentrating on relaxed breathing techniques.

So bottom line, I agree relaxation helps to build range but natural stress reduction methods are so better for our overall health.
    1940 Olds Super Recording
    1946 Martin Committee
    1953 Olds Recording (LA)
    1965 Olds Ambassador
    1967 Olds Recording (Fullerton)
    1973 Getzen 4 Valve Eterna Flugelhorn
    2012 Kanstul 4 Valve 1526 Flugelhorn
    2014 Allora Pocket Trumpet

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information