Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree26Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss How do you "consider" a horn you've never played? in the General forums; As I don't play trumpet, I have had to rely solely on comments and reputation as found on this site ...
    Buffalo, NY

Re: How do you "consider" a horn you've never played?

As I don't play trumpet, I have had to rely solely on comments and reputation as found on this site and TH. My N+1 started with Ambassadors and when my husband started making noise about wanting a professional trumpet my desire leaned toward the Recording based on conversations here TH and Brass Review. As luck would have it. Recordings dried up on ebay When I was searching to get him one for Christmas a few years ago. I found one online at Oberloh Woodwind and Brass works But they had sold it 10 minutes before I called. All was not lost however as they had another in the shop but it needed a restoration. If I was willing to wait... They would sell me the horn restored for what I was willing to spend for a pig in the poke on ebay. It arrived and Fred enjoyed a surprise Christmas in April. Yes I was able to keep my plot to myself, each night falling asleep with thoughts of that Recording's offset valve and reoloy bell. The experience of opening the package brought tears to Freddie's eyes, mine too as it was the most stunning horn I have ever seen. ( now matched in beauty only by the Vocabell in my signature) I've since acquired and have restored several other horns that are often mentioned in the forums. The Recording is still Freddie's favorite (we are waiting for the Super Recording Trumpet to come back from Oberloh).
    Last edited by entrancing1; 07-29-2013 at 02:02 PM.
    French Horns:Yamaha 668 ND, King Eroica and 1159(wall hanger)
    Kanstul 920 Picc
    Olds Super Recording trumpet and Cornet
    Olds Super Trumpet and Cornet
    Olds Recording Trumpet and Cornet
    Olds Flugelhorn
    Buescher 400 Trumpet and Cornet ,Model 9, 10-22 '26 Buescher Flugel
    King Liberty Trumpet, Master Model Cornet
    Conn 40A, 40B, 80A
    Ambassador C trumpet conversion

Hyde Park, Utah

Quote Originally Posted by amzi View Post
    Graysono--didn't realize Hornucopia was a brick and mortar store--I'll have to give it a shot. By the way, taking BART to Millbrae is cheaper than stopping at the airport. You can catch a bus right outside the station-I checked and one of the buses takes you right to the address.
    Amzi: Other than the once I was there--I was in meetings in Burlingame--I have only had the two dealings via mail with them. My visit was pre- the most recent comeback so I just kind of hung out while a friend tried out tenor sax mpcs. I was dazzled by the collection of horns they seemed to have, but since I wasn't playing and had no mpc with me I just looked and didn't really engage them. I am really interested in your impression once you find the time to get there. A lot of water could have gone under the bridge by now...

Conns: 2B ('48) 48B ('51) 58B ('32) 62B ('46 Pan Am) 80A ('53)
    Olds: Ambassador Cornet ('52) Ambassador Trumpet ('52)
    Kanstul/FBessons: 609; 709 Trumpets
    Martin: Deluxe Committee Model Trumpet ('52)
    Reynolds: Contempora Trumpet (LB) ('56) Contempora Cornet (LB) ('62)
    Schilke: B6L Trumpet (2009)
    Stomvis: Elite Flugelhorn; Elite Cornet; Forte Pocket Trumpet

Northern California

I'll probably try to get down there before Thanksgiving. That will be my next scheduled visit to the Bay Area.
    Recording Olds Trumpet (64)
    Bb MLV Strad (69) ML 37 Strad (71) C ML Strad 236 (65)
    Couesnon Flugelhorn
    Bach Strad Bass Trumpet
    Holton T171 Alto Trumpet
    Kanstul 920 Piccolo Trumpet
    Yamaha 6610S Eb/D Trumpet

Tuckahoe, NY

I have bought all my horns without playing.....and in the future i would prefer playing first...however....once you get a feel for how some horns are it is fairly easy to make comparisons. Before really investing in any horns except my first $60 Bundy that i got on ebay, i play tested what i could get my hands on, mostly Sam Ash Bachs/Yamahas and a few local used horns.

Then i took what i felt about all of them and compared to what others said about them, and what they said about horns i was targeting.
    Now, my N+1 wish list is filled with very collectible and pricey items, which i may not get to play before, but from rep alone i think i know what i want.
    A lot of the list came from research into the depths of TM.

The biggest problem with buy before you play is the valve crapshoot...which i lost on my Committee (but now it has perfect Anderson redone valves).
    I have learned that 'good compression' 'valve pop' and 'valves look great' all mean nothing. so from now on i will not buy a horn without the ability to return if valves need a replating.
    tobylou8 likes this.

Little Horns
    Jupiter 416 Pocket Trumpet
    2013 Corneta Traspositor C/Db
    '32 Conn 40B Vocabell
    '32 Selmer Louis Armstrong Special
    '50 Blessing Super Artist

Bigger Horns
    2009 Phaeton Flugelhorn

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information