Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Trumpet Discussion Discuss How do you get to play so well? in the General forums; Thanks for clearing that up Phil. I see where you guys are getting this now. Let it be known that ...

Re: How do you get to play so well?

Thanks for clearing that up Phil. I see where you guys are getting this now.

Let it be known that I do not believe that because of my one student, anybody can be a great trumpet player. When I used that example I did not mean for it to come across like that. I was simply using an example. However I see that the way I worded it is confusing. I apologize.

Regardless of the confusing wording and example, I still believe than anybody can work their way up to a professional (great) level and beyond if they really, truly put the work into it.

1914 Holton Revelation Cornet
    1929 Stroud Baby Grand Piano
    1950's Hammond M3 Organ

Forte User
    Near Portland, OR.

And I would tend to agree with that. Each will go through a unique combination of talent, circumstances and good luck. These are variables that we can not control.

Anyone who wants to play at a good level must have the dedication and put up with the hard work, because nothing good will happen without them. However, they will take one only as far as the non controllable variables provide.

All reasonably gifted players can achieve a good level with hard work, I should add intelligent work, and dedication. In that sense you are likely right, if mastery is defined as the ability to function satifactorily in most settings, with various types of music. That would describe a pro.

But the OP was, I believe, talking about superior levels of mastery, that are only shown by a few exceptional players. Only the very talented will turn hard intelligent work and dedication into that kind of mastery, if circumstances and good luck do not get too much in their way.
    Last edited by Phil986; 02-23-2011 at 09:13 PM. Reason: typo

Selmer Radial, Bb.
    Yamaha YTR4420E, C.
    1930 Couesnon cornet

A mind that masters the breath
    Creates strength (Lao-Tzu).

Hillsborough, NJ

Quote Originally Posted by Kujo20 View Post
    Well BigDub....I haven't had everybody in the world as a student! He just happened to be a good example.

How does it "support my argument"? Well, to tell you the truth I didn't know I was in an argument. I was just stating my opinion.

I think that anybody can reach a goal they have if they truly put in the work. I'm sure that Thomas Gansch (or any other famous trumpet player for that matter) didn't come out of the womb playing Haydn's trumpet concerto! They had to start at the beginning just like everybody else (at one point in time, those famous players were sitting down in 5th grade band class having no idea what to do with the instrument they were holding)

So if that helps you understand my "argument", ok! If not...well it is just my opinion!

My mistake. I guess the "I disagree" misled me to incorrectly interpret that as an argument.
    The one student you referred to sounds more like a real standout, an exceptional kid, not just anyone, true?

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread Information