Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss How do you get your fingers to go faster? in the General forums; The two books that have helped me the most with finger speed and dexterity have been the Clarke, and John ...
    Piano User
    Los Angeles, CA
    The two books that have helped me the most with finger speed and dexterity have been the Clarke, and John McNeal's Jazz Trumpet Techniques. The McNeal book has a lot of cross fingerings and is excellent.

New Friend
    Hey thanks man,
    I'll look into that. But the thing is, I don't get it though. I mean I've never really had this problem until last week. How do I keep my ring finger from locking?

Utimate User
    Keep them curled.

New Friend
    Perhaps the best exercise that I have run across for getting those digits in shape is the E major line of the second Clarke Technical Study (I believe it is #36). I play it using third valve for the A's and E's. You will be amazed just how awkward this is, and just how much more freely everything works after you master it. It really frees up the ring finger, which is naturally very inflexible on most people.
    This isn't my idea at all, btw...I stole it from Claude Gordon's Systematic Approach.

As for the problem with fingers locking...Manny is absolutely right (of course). Make sure you are keeping your hand relaxed. It sounds as though you may be tensing your hand while trying to finger quickly, and tension is your enemy where this is concerned.

New Friend
    That's an interesting exercise... with 3rd valve for the Clarke second study. I'll have to try that. Has anyone ever tried the trick of using your left hand? You play through an akward passage using you left hand. You do this VERY slowly to make sure that you do it accurately. That is essential! You do it 3 times in a row successfully (slowly,) and then go back and play it with you right hand. It's amazing how well this works. I was told the reason it works is because you're training the other half of your brain to do the task at hand and so end up using more brain power in the end result. How cool is that.

But Manny, I found something unexpected that helped my fingers go faster... specifically speaking about the passage at the end of the Hummel. By listening to a recording of Maurice Andre playing the hummel and listening to that passage over and over, I began to realize that it IS possible to move that fast, and miraculously, my finger did move faster. It's not quite as fast and as clean as him (alas!) but it certainly is faster. It's amazing what you can accomplish when you think you can!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information