Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss How far do you pro guys travel for lessons? in the General forums; I agree with Alex, there is no distance too far to travel for an experience that will positively influence your ...
    I agree with Alex, there is no distance too far to travel for an experience that will positively influence your musical ability/outlook.

The important thing about traveling and spending money on lessons is that you get enough back to make it worth your while/money. Don't travel halfway across the world just to meet someone, do it because you have something specific to work on or you think that teacher has something special to give you.

Antigonish, NS
    Quote Originally Posted by eisprl View Post
    Hi everybody!

I'd still like to take lessons (but in my chosen style the closest people are in toronto about an hour and a half flight away).

Don't forget about Richard Simoneau in Sym. Nova Scotia. He is a great player and teacher. There is also Rick Waychesco in Halifax for your lead Playing.

It's there if you look for it.

Halifax, NS CANADA
    Hi Paul,

I've heard about Rick. I know about him and his TOP career. I wasn't sure if he even tought (or was still around). I could talk to Tim Elson (ex-roomate of rick's)

AND there is also you I'd like to get some jazz lessons some time as well as possibly try out that pretty little horn of yours a little more.

I may not be able to make Stayner's on Thurs (wolfville big band) though I am sure it will be great!
    Eric Sproul
    Practice is like filling a leaky bucket

Bb: Paul Mauriat, Yamaha
    Flugel: Hub Van Laar ACK
    Mouthpieces: monette, yamaha

Utimate User
    I've gone as far as Chicago from Seattle to work with Bud, Vince, and Arnold. Did that in one week a long time ago and it was one of the greatest weeks of my life.

Artist in Residence
    Forte User

Sorry to join this thread so late...

Steve Burns used to travel from NYC to Paris 3 times a year to work with Pierre Thibaud.

I have one (fanatic) student, who will remain nameless as he posts on TM occasionally, who has a lesson with me once a month in Los Angeles. He commutes from his home in Oakland (5 hours, each way). That's dedication!

Ahn Hee Chan, an absolutely brilliant Korean trumpeter (solo trumpet in the KBS Orchestra, etc.), used to travel from Seoul to Rotterdam to spend one week with me per month. That's REALLY dedication (perhaps crazy?).

I used to walk 5 minutes (3 blocks) from my house in Oak Park ILL to Casa Herseth. Not so dedicated but definately worth it!

I know that this isn't exactly trumpet, but I was once told a story that the two virtuoso piano rivals Arthur Rubenstein and Vladimir Horowitz used to play for each other as a means to keep each other sharp - each virtuoso hearing things in the others playing that they didn't hear themselves.

I would imagine that most professional musicians are the same way - they take their lessons from other professionals - call it professional advice from a colleague.

Of course I wouldn't really know because I'm not a pro player.

Edit: Oh dang - I saw "pro" and "lessons" and missed the whole part about "how far do you travel". In light of my above comment, Rubenstein and Horowitz used to go to each other's private studios.
    Last edited by trickg; 11-03-2006 at 03:41 PM.
    Patrick Gleason

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
    "At my signal, unleash hell."
    - Maximus Decimus Meridius

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information