Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Trumpet Discussion Discuss how fast is it possible for a trumpeter to tongue? in the General forums; Originally Posted by Derek Reaban Originally Posted by _TrumpeT_ Does anyone know how they chose the winner in the ancient ...
    Bloomfield Township, Mich
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Reaban
    Quote Originally Posted by _TrumpeT_
    Does anyone know how they chose the winner in the ancient Greek Olympics? Is it who can play the loudest or who can play the highest or what standard would it be based on? I was discussing this with my friend one day and he said it can't be based on loudness because they didn't have any decibel meters back then. So I replied (assuming louder sounds get carried further away), "may be they had people with flags every kilometre or so from the stadium who could raise their flag if they could hear the sound"
    Thanks Derek, I have asked this question several times in the last 11 years but finally someone has an answer. I wonder how they judged the loudness? I hope that there weren't any french or russian judges.

Honolulu, HI
    Quote Originally Posted by _TrumpeT_
    "It was a male-dominated practice and among certain tribes of the Amazon any woman who looked at a trumpet was killed." Hmm. This probably explains why there aren't as many female trumpeters.
    And why we are smart enough not to choose the Amazon region as our habitat.

"I'd like to think they were singing about something so beautiful, it can't be expressed in words, and makes your heart ache because of it."

~from "The Shawshank Redemption"

Mezzo Forte User
    Morelia, Mexico
    Derek, thanks for the link. That's why I love this site, I learn something every day. As I tell my students, when the king comes out they don't have clarinets or oboes or celli, they have trumpets. "Why do we play so loud? Because we can!"

Michael McLaughlin

"It usually takes me more than three weeks to prepare a good impromptu speech."
    Mark Twain
    Morelia MM

Tempe, Arizona
    There was a topic several years ago on the TPIN list about “trumpet Olympics”, and I remembered that one of the members on the list had an email address with ACHIAS in it that I would see all the time and I associated it with this topic from then on.

When I was doing some research for the talk that I gave on trumpet in my kindergartener’s classroom I bumped into this web page (easy to find the good sites when you know the key words). Fascinating stuff!

I’m glad you all enjoyed the link!
    Derek Reaban
    Tempe, Arizona

charlotte nc
    Also from the Achais web site Derek offered......
    Another contestant was Herodorus of Megas, whose playing was so loud that many in the audience were stunned by the concussion. ....

Of course, descendants of "Herodorus of Megas" have since changed their name over the Herraduras of Mexico...purveyors of fine tequila, for which the phrase, "the more you drink...the louder we sound", was created as their slogan.

( I'm just being silly....).
    Brad Wilcox
    NYTC Endorsing Artist
    Stage 1 California Light
    Bells: Rose brass, Copper rimless,
    Gold brass, Yellow brass rimless
    Bach Strad Flugelhorn
    GR Mouthpieces

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information