Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss How to fix Trumpet dents for free in the General forums; I have a nasty dent on my Yamaha xeno. It's around the middle of the bell. it's not that big, ...
    New Friend

Exclamation How to fix Trumpet dents for free

I have a nasty dent on my Yamaha xeno. It's around the middle of the bell. it's not that big, but it's noticable. I just want it gone. Please help. Thanks
    Yamaha YTR-2335 Bb (2007)
    Yamaha Xeno 8335RGS Bb (2010)

Forte User

Re: How to fix Trumpet dents for free

Which horn?

If you're not a repair tech you'll probably do more harm than good trying to fix it. If you're experimenting on an old junker it's OK, but if it's a good horn you should pobably go to a tech.

Most sinple dent removal is very cheap.

I agree ... a tech needs to do it. They often have specialized tools and machines for this. I know what you mean about annoying dents in the bell .... You know they don't amount to much, sound wise, but they're staring you right in the face when you play. I'm waiting for my Severinsen to come back from the tech, for a needed brace replacement AND a newly rounded bell ... can't wait.

Turtle
    Trumpets are for extroverts - Lee Morgan

www.soundcloud.com/turtlejimmy

Utimate User

Quote Originally Posted by Diemond View Post
    I have a nasty dent on my Yamaha xeno. It's around the middle of the bell. it's not that big, but it's noticable. I just want it gone. Please help. Thanks
    Many bell dents could be removed by a tech on a walk-in / walk-out basis
    if they have the proper bell mandrel set-up. I was once in a shop as seemed to have more than a hundred bell mandrels inclusive of a few for a Sousaphone as were lifted by a hoist. The problem is that a tech will not interrupt a delicate soldering job and other jobs that he had been given before yours. Too, time provides the best work as a result.

Hi Ed.

And in my case, the tech had to order the small brace from Getzen. Plus, it's back to school, a usually busy time for him, so I don't mind waiting the 2-3 weeks he said it would take. I'm sure it's usually much faster than this.

Turtle

Yes, of course, as everyone else has said - get it done by someone (else) who knows what they are doing. My impression is that a simple dent removal might run $40 ~ $100 but you won't know until you ask someone in your area.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Lee View Post
    Many bell dents could be removed by a tech on a walk-in / walk-out basis if they have the proper bell mandrel set-up.

Hmm... that makes me wonder how dents ARE usually removed. I had thought that a brass tech would normally use a system with a magnetic ball and outter bit, or something similar. I hadn't thought that one would normally have a bunch of mandrels sitting around just for dent-removal business. I thought those were for actually building brass instruments. Is this wrong?

Ars longa, vita brevis

Quote Originally Posted by turtlejimmy View Post
    Hi Ed.

And in my case, the tech had to order the small brace from Getzen. Plus, it's back to school, a usually busy time for him, so I don't mind waiting the 2-3 weeks he said it would take. I'm sure it's usually much faster than this.

Turtle

Late October is "back to school" time in Oregon?

Ars longa, vita brevis

Good point Ed ..... actually it's due back any day now. The tech here works out of his house, through the local music store, and I was told he recently invested some 30k into "brass dent removal machines", whatever those might be. Everyone around here, including the trumpet professor at the University, speaks very highly of him, so I don't feel any need to send it somewhere.

Turtle

Or, rather, good point Craig!

T

Forte User

Quote Originally Posted by craigph View Post
    Yes, of course, as everyone else has said - get it done by someone (else) who knows what they are doing. My impression is that a simple dent removal might run $40 ~ $100 but you won't know until you ask someone in your area.

Hmm... that makes me wonder how dents ARE usually removed. I had thought that a brass tech would normally use a system with a magnetic ball and outter bit, or something similar. I hadn't thought that one would normally have a bunch of mandrels sitting around just for dent-removal business. I thought those were for actually building brass instruments. Is this wrong?
    I think depends on the shop.

I live within driving distance of a VERY good shop (Dillon's), so they have a lot of tools at their disposal. I think Fred just used the right tool for the right job.

Also, if we're talking about a minor repair I'd guess less than $40.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information