Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree2Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss how hard to go from Bb to C trumpet in the General forums; The obvious use of a C trumpet is to play with a piano or in a church without having to ...
    New Friend

Re: how hard to go from Bb to C trumpet

The obvious use of a C trumpet is to play with a piano or in a church without having to transpose. If you stop & think about it, a C trumpet is only one whole tone different from a B-flat trumpet. So when you press the first valve of a C trumpet, you would seem to have approximated a B-flat trumpet with no valves pushed down -- the tubing has been made that much longer.

New Friend
    Stockholm Sweden

Re: how hard to go from Bb to C trumpet

It´s no coincidence that the B trumpet became the standard pitch of the instrument. My first 30 years of trumpet playing I bacame efficent at transposing to C and D från my B instrument, but when I began to play both keyboard and trumpet I´ve been playing C trumpet mostly for some 30 years, as it was too difficult for me to transpose simultaniously while playing piano. It seems to me that the B trumjpet overtone series are closer to the piano tuning and so are easier to play in tune. The C trumpet is low for the major and minor 3rd if you tune with note C for example. It has taken many years for me to feel as good with the C trumpet as the B, but the last years it has become my instrument and I feel comfortable and happy with my sound. I don´t work very much as a professional musician any more, but continue to practice and enjoy accompangning myself on piano with both trumpet and sång. I play mostly the "Songs My Mother Taught Me", that is to say the popular repetoire from the 20´s
    , 30´s and 40+s, and I love to sing the "Art Songs" such as Schubert, Schumann, Brahms, Mahler, Debussy, Fauré, as well as the Swedish composers Stenhammar, Rangström, Peterson-Berger for example. I have made my home here i Sweden since 1967 and have hade music as my profession. Studied trumpet here in Stockholm with John Ericsson of the Stockholm Philharmonic. The best C trumpet I have in my collection is an French Besson from the 50´s I believe, maybe earlier. The overtone series is best on this one and the sound also. When I play with myself (with the piano) I use a Bach Strad Elkhart or a Selmer Paris Lightweight (but still too heavy) You have to get used to holding it with the right hand while playing piano with the left.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information