Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree42Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss How high notes work. in the General forums; I used to be able to play crazy high notes by changing my embouchure (an extreme pivot), but I couldn't ...
    Heart of Dixie

Re: How high notes work.

I used to be able to play crazy high notes by changing my embouchure (an extreme pivot), but I couldn't play anything else with that setup. After a number of years messing with that (and playing lead in a big band), I just about destroyed my tone in the mid and lower register. I gradually got a nice tone back, but don't have much range any more. On a good day I can play an E or F above high C when I'm fresh, but most of the time, a high D is my secure range. In most of the playing situations I find myself in, that's enough. I've worked for the past few years to eliminate most all pivoting as I ascend or descend (using Schlossberg), and it's a much smoother way to play.
    tobylou8 and Sethoflagos like this.
    Olde Towne Brass

Brass Band of Huntsville

Trumpet: 1976 Bach Stradivarius ML 43, Curry 3C.
    Cornet: 1993 Bach Stradivarius L 184G, Curry 3BBC.

San Jose CA.

I continued to be inspired by the senior posters here and thank you all. Like another adult student who posted earlier in this thread, my target in only the C above the staff. When I get there reliably maybe I'll come up with a new target, but the C above the staff will allow me to play pretty much all I want to play. Now, if I am honest, I am reliable to G, mostly reliable to B flat, and occasional, sporadic and squeaky at the C. But with patience, discipline, practice and the guidance of my teacher I am getting closer all the time.
    TrumpetMD and motteatoj like this.

My horns tell me that when they grow up they want to be pro horns like some of the very impressive horns listed below other forum member signatures. But they tell me I need to learn to play first. Gimme ten years...

Olds Ambassador Cornet Los Angeles '51
    Olds Ambassador Fullerton '59
    Olds Ambassador Fullerton '67
    Olds Ultratone G Bugle Piston/Rotor '70

Tuckahoe, NY

i keep 'squeaking up' as well....some days are better than others...

Little Horns
    Jupiter 416 Pocket Trumpet
    2013 Corneta Traspositor C/Db
    '32 Conn 40B Vocabell
    '32 Selmer Louis Armstrong Special
    '50 Blessing Super Artist

Bigger Horns
    2009 Phaeton Flugelhorn

Most of the time, I find it much easier to play high notes when I just think about using good air flow and think about what note I'm about to play, rather than trying to set my embouchure / corner tension to the note.

Also, am I correct that some players feel like they are using faster air when playing high notes because of their more focused aperture and embouchure setting?
    I like playing my instrument!
    Trumpets are great.

Keigoh, You sound like you have let those high notes of yours go into muscle memory, so now when you think of that note, your body automatically knows what it has to do to get that note. You no longer have to think about “Setting” for these notes, your on “Cruise Control” now, which is why it is easier for you. This is perfect, and exactly what you should be doing. Keep this up with a note or two above your range. Practice them soft and let them get into muscle memory, (be Patient right ! ) and in a month or two you will own those notes also.
    In regards to your question on faster air. Look up and understand the difference between Volume and Velocity as it relates to air. Upper register takes air Velocity, always. SO……….Yes aperture and embouchure play an important part in this register, more focused, and fast moving air = Velocity = Ascending : )
    tobylou8 likes this.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information