Trumpet Discussion Discuss How long an embouchure change takes in the General forums; I just changed my embouchure a few weeks ago playing second trumpet for my band in New York. My band ...
    Pianissimo User

How long an embouchure change takes

I just changed my embouchure a few weeks ago playing second trumpet for my band in New York. My band is going to start performing in about three months, however. Will my new embouchure develop fast enough for me to be able to play with it during the performances? What are everyone's opinions and experiences on how long an embouchure change takes?
    Hooray for Trumpet Players Everywhere!

Forte User
    Flinders Vic Australia

Re: How long an embouchure change takes

I think this depends on a number of things, how drastic a change, was the change instigated by a teacher or self applied, has it made a difference ie better tone, increased range, increased endurance, how much practice you do.

My teacher gave me a change of embouchure during a lesson and by the end of the hour I was completly comfortable with it and havent looked back.

If after several weeks it has not had the desired effect then maybe it was not the correct thing to do.

Regards, Stuart.

Mezzo Forte User
    Los Angeles

I've had two experiences that might shed some light. Many years ago I changed from a rolled out lower lip (my more naturally developed embouchure all through high school and most of college) to a rolled in lower lip. This had the effect, after a 2 month adjustment period (from hell) of reducing mpc pressure, which I could have done with the other emb. and by using my tongue/air properly, and taking my sound from a big, bright sound to a thinner, more resistant sound. My range went up but my articulation and sound were not great. It improved some over time, but then I got into REALLY rolling in my lower lip when ascending and I finally gave it up.

After my comeback 2+ years ago, I continued in this fashion but 6-8 months ago I began rolling that lip out again, albeit in doses, not in one fell swoop. My sound, range, endurance have all gone up, but from time to time I get lip protrusion and some accompanying double buzzes. It all seems to improve when I concentrate on using my tongue/air properly and to not play when too exhausted.

The lesson I learned is that emb changes should be done only if you're really not sounded/doing well and there is no other choice. Your natural setup is usually the best one, just play more correctly.

Piano User

why did you changed it in the first place. It is wise never to change the embouchure. Basically there is no benefit only hours and hours of additional practice that could be used for different things, for eg. tonguing or articulation, or breathing

Forte User
    Indianapolis, In

I somewhat agree with the prior poster, why did you change the embouchure. Do you have a teacher and they initiated the change or did you just decide one day to change?
    If a teacher did it then you need to know why and what the advantages are to making the change. If you did it for whatever then what about your playing made you think you needed to change. Many times it takes a good while to make a change dependant on how drastic a change it was. If the benefits in sound and efficiency outweigh what was previously going on then maybe it's for the best. No one on the net can tell you how long it takes when they have not heard or seen you play and don't know how much time per day you spend working on it.

Big changes are measured in years. Minor corrections are not embouchure changes. Habits require 5,000 to 10,000 repetitions. You can figure out how long that will take.

I don't feel sorry for players that emasculate themselves. There is so much literature that explains the problems. I guess snake oil is the answer for some.

Don't worry, after the trumpet embouchure is REALLY messed up, you can always switch to baritone horn or tuba.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Levittown , NY

It took me three months to get used to my change, don't worry people who preach that the only way to play is their way are just being arrogant snobs , maybe they never had any embouchure problems and can sound and play like Maynard, Wayne,Chase,Faddis, etc. but some of us needed to correct a flaw or two.

Thread Information