Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Trumpet Discussion Discuss How to make a career from music in the General forums; Originally Posted by CHAMP how many of you offering all this advice actually have a career I music? and i'm ...

Re: How to make a career from music

Quote Originally Posted by CHAMP View Post
    how many of you offering all this advice actually have a career I music? and i'm talking about really paying the billz with your horn...

hilarious stuff...
    I did. As a military bandsman I was the rank of Staff Sergeant, in the short line for a Sergeant First Class slot when I left, working at the 10 year mark - you got a raise for time served every 2 years. With housing and food allowances that meant that I made a decent living - for a long time I was making more money than my wife (considerably more for a while) who has a Masters degree and is a career school teacher. Since I was in what is considered a "premier" unit, I also had fair stability - I was stationed on Fort Myer, and as long as I was in the Old Guard Fife and Drum Corps, I was going to stay stationed there as long as the Old Guard wasn't moved elsewhere. (not likely) I paid the bills, bought a house, had kids...just a regular life with the difference that I played a bugle and marched for a living rather than doing something else more "normal" - whatever that means.

Playa - don't count out the military. You might have flat feet and asthma, but so many of those things are waiverable for musicians in the military band program. Seriously - one of my friend's was mostly deaf in one ear, and another one had asthma that was controllable with meds. All of those things were waived as non-issues due to the job identifier of being a bandsman.
    Patrick Gleason

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
    "At my signal, unleash hell."
    - Maximus Decimus Meridius

Banned New Friend

Re: How to make a career from music

I'll give you some advice here. There are jobs, such as the military that you get to play the horn or what ever instrument in and make a living, but at the end of your career, are people going to remember you? Likely not. If you look to the vast number of very good musicians in the world, how many of them are going to be known? Very, very few, and you know why? The lack of originality in their playing and styling. It's great to be Gods gift along the technicals, but playing every note technically perfect still will not get you to stand apart, and it's not even about how well you play, but how you interpret it, how you express it.

Just one note, play it, how many dynamics can you put into it to make it your own, stand out, be original, be different. If you look to the Seattle grunge scene, it wasn't the music as being the best, it was simply different.

For the start into it, take advantage of the cheap recording options, you can get free exposure world wide if you know how to do it. If you are unique with your sound, you will be known, you will have a career in music.
    Last edited by Brian121212; 11-16-2010 at 02:24 AM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information