Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss How Much? and How Often? in the General forums; I use Blue Juice. On the horns I play regularly, I put a few drops on each valve every couple ...
    Heart of Dixie

Re: How Much? and How Often?

I use Blue Juice. On the horns I play regularly, I put a few drops on each valve every couple days. For those that sit in their cases for weeks, quietly awaiting the thrill of being used, I oil before playing them, as Blue Juice evaporates fairly quickly. I've heard the tale of spitting on the valves to lube them in the days before valve oil. That would probably explain the worn-out valves on many vintage horns that were played very much.
    tobylou8 and robrtx like this.
    Olde Towne Brass

Brass Band of Huntsville

Trumpet: 1976 Bach Stradivarius ML 43, Curry 3C.
    Cornet: 1993 Bach Stradivarius L 184G, Curry 3BBC.

Quote Originally Posted by ckkphoto View Post
    I use Al Cass oil. Seems to need oil once at the beginning of playing and near the end of an hour to an hr and a half of near continuous practice. I have spilled some on the bedspread in the room where I practice (don't tell the wife) and it evaporates. I think I would prefer an oil that doesn't. I have another unopened bottle so it will be about six months before I run out....will probably try ultra pure after that based on Gmonady's testimony.
    blue Juice lasts a long time and doesn't stain. I spilled about 10 drops on a colored shirt last week and it washed out without a problem. If you want something that REALLY LASTS, try BiNaK. It is a synthetic that lasts 10 times longer than anything I have ever seen. Only takes a drop or two. Can last days to weeks. A bottle came with my Kanstul1502. Have been using it exclusively on the horn. Bottle is still almost full after several years. By the way, you cannot mix it with other oils ( must clean valves before applying the first time).
    Olds Supers, LA (1953), Ful. (1962)
    Olds Recording, LA (1952)
    Olds Studio, LA (1953)
    Olds Special, Ful. (1964)
    Olds Ambassador, LA (1954)
    Olds Ambassador, Ful. (1973)
    Bach Strads 37-(1967, 1970, 1974, 1982)
    Bach Strad 72 MLV (1973), 72* (1982)
    Kanstul 1500 (2002), 1502 (2008), 1503 (2002)
    Kanstul 1537 (2007)
    Kanstul Chicago (2000)
    Kanstul 1510 C
    King Liberty (1929,1929)
    King Liberty 2 (1938, 1944)
    King Liberty 2b (1950)
    J.H. Darby 45 USA
    Holton (Revelation) 1924
    Kanstul 1525 Flugelhorn

Novato, CA, USA

I oil my valves liberally everyday - I have been told by a number of horn techs the same as a previous poster mentioned: that if I wait for the valves to get sluggish then wear is already occurring. To date I have never had any issue with the valves on any of my horns.
    tobylou8 likes this.
    Scodwell Bb
    Callet Sima
    Wild Thing Bb
    Wild Thing Flugel

Quakertown PA

Blue Juice -

I put a couple drops in each valve almost every practice session.
    Proud owner of a 1960s U.S. Regulation bugle...(original owner)
    ...and a bunch of beat up Olds Ambassador Cornets and Trumpets

Olympia, WA

How much, how often, (and what) has depended on the horn for me. I would use 2 drops of Alisyn on each valves of my Strad. Worked great and lasted for weeks with hours of daily playing. For my older Ambassador and Galaxy, I use Hetmans #3 liberally on each valve. Works for about 1-2 weeks. For my Martin Indiana, the valves are old, but not worn. So I use blue juice, and yes, I pour it down the leadpipe and blow through. I do this every time I play. - Chap
    CH (CPT) Jonathan Entrekin
    Battalion Chaplain
    Warrior Transition Battalion
    Joint Base Lewis-McChord, WA
    "If there's no blood on your kilt, you're just a dancer." - Scottish proverb

1988 Bach Strad - given to son
    1952 Martin Committee with upturned bell - lost in a PCS move
    1957 Olds L.A. Ambassador - given to daughter
    1965 Holton Galaxy - soon to be going to son
    1957 Martin Indiana "Chieftain"
    John Lynch Asemmetric Opera mpc.

Use ultra pure every time I get the horn out..(every day )....this is after I have given the valves a wipe with a cheese cloth (clean). Never had a problem,and valves work as they suppose to.
    The only instrument that I don't use Ultra Pure is my new Xeno cornet. Found that using the Yamaha light valve oil works best for this cornet.
    But I must say that keeping the valves clean,wiping them clean before applying the oil and not oiling over old oil is the way to go.
    May the Trumpet Gods smile upon us all

Piano User

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Proctor View Post
    I use Blue Juice.
    Yuck! It has dye in it, or so I've been told. No good!
    Mit Kraft!

Pianissimo User

Quote Originally Posted by tjcombo View Post
    I grew up with the regime of a "bit of spit" on the valves Stuart. Now I often use a different horn or two each day and have gotten into the habit of putting two or three drops on each valve before playing. I use Al Cass and have heard the criticism that you need to use it more often than other oils. That may make more suited to my use pattern

I have never heard that before, but my experience seems to back it up.

A little lime juice in the valves, salt around the mouthpiece and a shot of tequila keep player and horn lubed just fine.....

But seriously once every other day whether it needs it or not is what I usually do, or before playing if the horn has been sitting a bit..........

I let the horn decide whether it wants Ultra Pure, or Hetman's 1, 2, or 3.........usually fast and tight valves (read: Schilke, Getzen ) get the Ultra Pure
    tjcombo likes this.

Schilke B1 & S42 (Bb), Conn 38A Connstellation (Cornet), Bach Strad 183 (Flugel), French Besson Classic (C)
    Plus a modest collection of vintage trumpets.

"True terror is to wake up one morning and discover that your high school class is running the country." Kurt Vonnegut

"It aint the mouthpiece." W.W.

Bath, UK

I used to use Blue Juice on my LB Strad. Then after only a few weeks, it needed oiling more and more frequently (to the point where I'd oil before a rehearsal, then again every 20 minutes during!), and I was washing the whole thing every couple of days too! A quick trip to my local, Denis Woodward, recommended Ultra Pure, and I've never had a problem since. The Strad has gone weeks without oiling and not a sign of slowing down, although I don't let it go that long usually, force of habit!
    1992 Bach Strad Large Bore 25 Silver
    1976 LA Benge 5x Silver
    1920s?? Langen?? Rotary Bb Raw brass
    1977 Olds Super Star Flugelhorn Raw brass
    1985 Mario Corso Piccolo Trumpet A/Bb, 4 bells
    2008 Kuhnl & Hoyer Tenor Trombone

Kanstul M-B4
    Kanstul M-B4LD
    Christian Lindberg 10C

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information