Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss How Much Practice Time? in the General forums; Lots of great advice here. I started back after over 27 years just a few months ago and can only ...
    Piano User

Re: How Much Practice Time?

Lots of great advice here. I started back after over 27 years just a few months ago and can only practice for 45 minutes at one time if I stay out of the upper register. Rarely have the opportunity to go at it more than once a day, but when I have that opportunity, the shorter practices with good breaks in between are much more productive.

Utimate User
    Jackson NC

IMO 45 straight minutes of continuous playing is too long to practice. When you become tired ... the best thing to do is put your trumpet in its case and yourself stretch out horizontally on a couch or bed for 45 minutes or more before you do anything else.

I advocate playing no longer than 20 minutes continuously and then rest for the same time. My own time span is one hour and 40 minutes broken into 3 playing sessions and 2 rest sessions. As I pack my instrument away, I'm not tired.

New Friend

I played through college and once out, played for weddings and church services. After about 30 years of age, I dropped it all together.

When I picked it back up in my mid 40's, I would practice until my sound became distorted. If it was on the weekend, I would try again after a few hours and would again stop after my sound became distorted. During the week, I would only practice once a day. I started out only about 10 to 15 minutes a session, but in about a months time, I could play around 45 minutes until my lip started feeling strained and my sound became distorted again.

Since my finger dexterity and music reading ability was still good and my lip was the only hold back, I spent most of my time on a short warm-ups and then started on what I was planning to perform or something I just wanted to play, no Arbans, long tones, etc. One exception that I did practice that I do think help get warmed up and improve my strength was lip slurs.

I also tried to limit pressure as much as possible.

Make sure that your practice time will be considerably more than your performance time and that your range is well above your performance range. I was too ambitious starting back and during a performance, nerves and just performing too early, My tone became very airy, even on the lower notes.

I hope this was helpful.

Piano User
    Jacksonville, FL

There is a deserving discussion here to condider.

When I first strted back in Dec 2008, I tried to practice as a did 16 years before. It was very dissapointing and frustrating. But, I was trying to get to the level that I could play out. As it turns out, my mind was moving to quicker than reality would permit my abilities.

So, I took a step back and worked on things I knew would get me where I wanted to go.

1. Long tones, long tones, long tones
    2. Pedal tones, Pedal tones, pedal tones
    3. Lip slurs

I would practice these for hours, sometime they were the only things I would practice in a days time. If I felt up to it, I MAY add in a non taxing Hymn; just to work on tone quality.

It has worked for me. My first gig was last week, and I palyed 1rst on a show that feature nothing but Broadway tunes. It was awork out to say the least, but I survived.

Good luck
    Jason I Boddie
    Sterling Brass Trumpet I
    Yamaha 6310 zs
    Warburton 4md Lexan cup, series 80 KT backbore

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information