Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss How often? in the General forums; The amount of time you spend on any endeavor is governed by your desire to become proficient. I know students ...
    Pianissimo User
    Des Moines, IA

Re: How often?

The amount of time you spend on any endeavor is governed by your desire to become proficient. I know students your age who practice 30 minutes per day and some who practice 3 hours per day. How good do you want to be?

Ithaca NY

Re: How often?

Quote Originally Posted by That One guy View Post
    I do not plan on taking my trumpet playing past High School at the moment, but I suppose I'm still undecided.
    Others can advise you about practicing. My advice is do not stop playing when you graduate. Music can carry you through the trials and tribulations of life like nothing else. Keep playing, taking lessons and become as good as you can. There is NO career which will interfere with doing that, and most careers will actually benefit from your having a side interest in performing on the trumpet. There are many skills which you can develop and refine in the musical arena that will transfer directly to whatever non-musical job you end up doing for a living. Self-confidence, poise in front of an audience, mental acuity - all can be improved by performing on your horn. Ensemble skills translate to better listening, sensitivity to others, and the ability to work as a team member. I could go on, but I'm sure you get the idea.
    Most of the folks (admittedly no hard data here, this is just my impression) who participate on this forum do not make a living from their trumpet playing. While it can generate decent extra income, moslty it is about the love of music and playing the trumpet that brings us together. Life is just better when you play the trumpet. So I urge you to keep it up.
    Nothing is more contagious or tenacious than music. Once you are exposed it gets inside you and you can never get rid of it. It is also non-discriminating. It can be Ride of the Valkyries, In a Gadda da Vida, the Jeopardy 15 second thinking tune, your most disliked commercial jingle - it doesn't matter. Once triggered, off you go, like it or not.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information