Trumpet Discussion Discuss How old is this trumpet? in the General forums; Hi there, hope someone would help me determine what do I have ... Of course is a trumpet Frank Holton ...
    New Friend

How old is this trumpet?

Hi there, hope someone would help me determine what do I have ...

Of course is a trumpet
    Frank Holton & Co.
    On the valves it has a # 18319 (serial Number?)
    near the mouth piece it has the following T-303

It is in very good shape, no dents or anything, needs some maintenance and cleaning (it is silver color).

I would like to fix it and sell it. Any idea of the market value of a trumpet like this?

Mezzo Piano User Brass crusader's Avatar
    Buffalo, NY/ Hartford, CT

Re: How old is this trumpet?

Some pictures would be very helpful. From the model, I don't believe the horn is older than the '70's, but I could be wrong. I'm sure that there are some sites dedicated to Holton serial numbers that you could consult.
    AFM Local 400

New Friend

Ithaca NY

From the design - braces, 3rd slide adj. ring, bottom caps, I would guess it to be from the mid-century.

Kalamazoo, Michigan

There is an identical one on the Trumpet line in Horn-u-copia, very close serial, and the same "Made in France" stamp. Holton had some trumpets made over there, but I can't recall the era, but maybe 30-35 yrs ago? Maybe inserted in the ST302-ST303-ST304. That would be interesting to find out.
    You might go to and ask one of their trumpet people. No more Holton Loyalist site, so you can't go there and Holton records are hard to come by.
    Dave Rafferty
    Spartan for Life
    ???? Barrington trumpet
    1968 Besson 2-20 trumpet
    1960's B & H Embassy trumpet
    1967 Conn Connquest cornet
    ???? Devillier (stencil) Trumpet German?
    ???? Besson 609
    1957 Besson 8-10 Trumpet
    Portage Senior Center Dance Band
    Kalamazoo Checkers Swing Band

Quote Originally Posted by gcuevasjl View Post
    Thanks I found this site Frank Holton according to it is was manufactured in 1912? Anyone can check this?
    Here are some pictures also.
    Trompeta 001.jpg - Windows Live
    If my memory serves me right, it must have been built in the (19)70s - one of the first MF Horns. It is not an early 20th century model.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

New Friend

I have one I purchased new in October,1968. S#18xxx. This is not a Holton manufactured trumpet so you cannot go by the Holton serial number dating. I own a number of Leblancs and the t303 appears to be a 700 sonic without the engraving. All the French Leblancs and Holtons were actually made by Courtois (as others have noted). Contrary to a fairly familiar misconception, these horns were not "stencils". They were made to very specific Leblanc parameters and are quite distinct from the Courtois models. A stencil is simply a renamed off the shelf instrument. The T303 was also labeled "Continental" for a period of time. These are very good instruments providing of course reasonable care over their lifetime.

Fortissimo User
    Yorba Linda, CA

Gabe2 - Welcome to TrumpetMaster - and thanks for the updated information. It will serve those who come later looking for such information. Unfortunately, the OP has not been back after the first question nearly 2 years ago so will likely not see this. But, all information is welcome - particularly for those instruments which have little or no historical data on any of the websites (such as Horn-u-copia).
    Come-Back Kid
    - - - - - - - - -
    Selmer Invicta London ('56)
    Olds Recording ('58, '59, '60)
    Olds Super ('51, '63, '66, '67, '68, '69)
    Olds Standard ('46)
    Olds SuperStar ('71, '72)
    Olds Studio ('55, '59, '70)
    Olds Special ('51, '56, '58, '60, '62,'68,'73)
    Olds Ambassador (a few: '49-'79)
    Olds Flugelhorn ('70)
    (+Eastman, Besson 609 , Conn Director, King Cleveland, Holton Collegiate, Blessing Accord,
    Conn Severinsen, York, Yamaha, Getzen, Amati, Revelle, Bundy, Alcazar)

Thread Information