Trumpet Discussion Discuss how is this possible? in the General forums; For those of you that aren't familiar with David Guerrier, he's a French trumpet soloist. He's probably around 20 years ...
    Pianissimo User

how is this possible?

For those of you that aren't familiar with David Guerrier, he's a French trumpet soloist. He's probably around 20 years old now, but he won the Maurice Andre competition a few years ago when he was 15 or 16, and he won the Young Concert Artists competition a year or two years ago. His ability to play the trumpet is incredible, as any of you who have heard his recitals can attest to.
    Apparently, being an international trumpet soloist isn't challenging enough because apparently he's currently the solo horn (as in FRENCH) player for National Orchestra of France. Somebosy told me this yesterday and I didn't believe him so I found this website:

It's the closest to an official page as I could find, and it lists him as solo horn.
    Now could someone please, before I decide I've been playing the trumpet from the wrong end this whole time, explain how it is possible to be the principal horn of a major international symphony orchestra and also be an internationally touring trumpet soloist? Is this some bizarre French plot to take over the world? Will symphony orchestras of the future be manned by supermen who double on horn and trumpet (now there's doubling)? Is it the Evian water? The wine? The pastries? Could someone please help me out here.
    Of course, someone could also give me an explanation of how my friend and the website are mistaken, but where's the fun in that?

By the way, if Rick James wrote a song about a brass player, it really would have to be about a Frenchman, wouldn't it?

New Friend
    Pacific Northwest

I met a guy a few years ago named Nathaniel Mayfield. He posts on the other site. He claimed that the French had a totally different approach to the instrument, which gave them incredible results. Something about the soft palette. I have no knowledge about this personally...

It does seem, though, that the first round of most French orchestra auditions includes the Tomasi concerto...pretty intense, if you ask me.

Thread Information