Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Trumpet Discussion Discuss How were you introduced to Classical music? in the General forums; I was four years old. My cousin was getting married and the high school band director at the time was ...
    Pianissimo User
    Gordonsville, TN
    I was four years old. My cousin was getting married and the high school band director at the time was to play the processional and recession along with his wife. He played trumpet, not sure what key it was, I didn't even really know what it was exactly he was playing back then and his wife played harp. He played the Stanley Trumpet Voluntary and I think an except from Lohengrin, when I think about it now it sounds familiar, but I'm still not positive, but that was how I was introduced to classical music i.e. trumpet playing also.
    King Silver Flair 2055S
    Getzen 770 SG Gold Series
    Bundy Series II cornet

Music is a more potent instrument than any other for education. -Plato

Sheffield, England, UK
    I first encountered classical music in the womb. Seriously. My Mother was pregnant with me and went with my father to see the Halle Orchestra. Simon Rattle was conducting a Beethoven Symphony (I forget which) and (I'm told) took the last movement so fast he must have had a bus to catch. My mother never fogave him, and never went to a symphony concert again.

When I wsa very young (so young that I can't remember the incident) I had a smal xylophone and a beater. Unlike most kids who seem to bang the beater against the instrument randomly, I played a theme from Eine Kleine Nachtsmusik (which I had presumably heard not long since).

Despite my obvious musical gift ( ) my parents didn't get me instrumental lessons until I asked for them about ten years later. Just my luck, had I been started at the age of six months, I could have been a child prodigy!

Mezzo Piano User
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Last edited by PH; 05-22-2007 at 11:29 AM.

Forte User
    Farnham (a place too smal
    I wish I could remember.

Both my parents sang in the local church choir (my Dad was also the choirmaster) and they met in a jazz choir - there was always music in the house. It is a source of great disappointment, to my Mother especially, that I don't spend my life performing in jazz clubs.

I guess, like many people of my age, my first exposure to the full orchestral sound (with dominating trumpet) was Star Wars.

When I am teaching younger players I like to get them to listen to everything - some of them soon find that they are drawn to certain styles, others just love everything. The ones that really stun me are the ones that take what I set them and start to explore other music of that style and beyond - this is with students under the age of 10!
    Having watched a group of 50 young players being exposed to Rex Richardson earlier this year it was amazing what grabbed their attention - some of them seemed almost asleep during a couple of his jazz solos, whilst others were mesmerized. When he gave them a performance of one of his own solo etudes (which are seriously technical, contemporary pieces, for those that haven't heard him play) many of the reactions swapped over. Then there were those that just looked in awe of the entire performance
    When he performed Vizzutti's Rising Sun later in the evening, the students were bowled over - in one day he managed to convert them to contemporary jazz, contemporary classical and technical virtuosity - I wish someone had done that to me when I was ten!!

Forte User
    Jerusalem, Israel
    When I was a kid, I used to watch (and listen to) the Lone Ranger (William Tell Overture of Rossini). That trumpet part is great!

Liad Bar-EL

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information