Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss How/Why did you start playing trumpet? in the General forums; In third grade, I saw an orchestra concert, and was facsinated at how the slides of "the instruments with big ...
    Pianissimo User
    In third grade, I saw an orchestra concert, and was facsinated at how the slides of "the instruments with big slides" moved in unison.

In fourth grade, I signed up for band. The instrument with the big slide was called "trom- something." Since trombone wasn't offered, I checked the "trumpet" box. With my parents I went to the music shop, asked for a trumpet, and was introduced to an instrument I had never before seen, it wasn't the one with the big slide! I kept my mouth shut, for fear of looking stupid, and learned how to play that one.

Now, of course, I'm glad that mix-up happened. I almost shudder of the thought at playing trombone rather than trumpet.
    Yamaha Xeno Bb (YTR-8335GS) // Monette B2
    Yamaha Xeno C (YTR-8445S) // Monette C2

Woodbury, Minnesota
    I started as a tuba player back in fourth grade. By seventh grade, I played well enough that my parents were paying for private tuba lessons with a student at the university.

I encountered two problems:
    1) There weren't many gigs for a professional tuba player
    2) A 4-valve rotary Miraphone I wanted was really expensive

In ninth grade I bought a trumpet for $75 and started to play in the junior high jazzband (lead, of course). I have no idea how a big tuba embouchure translated to trumpet high range, but...

It has been all trumpet since then. I enjoy playing all styles of music, except that I never learned how to improvise from chord charts. I made it through undergrad, grad school (masters), and during doctoral studies had the priviledge of studying with Manny Laureano - a real great!

New Friend
    Honestly, I just had a feeling that trumpet was for me. I just had this urge to play trumpet and in 5th grade I started. I thought about Flute, tried it, and couldnt make a sound. I played a trumpet, I knew it was for me. I guess it was just an impulse. Thank God I followed it :).
    Let music never die in me, forever let my spirit sing. Wherever emptiness if found, let there be joy and glorious sound.

Piano User
    Los Angeles, CA
    I am much like the last poster. In 4th grade we tried out every instrument for a couple weeks at a time. I liked the trumpet and in 5th grade started full time.

New Friend
    Niceville, FL
    In the early 60s, my father was assigned to an Air Force base in northern California. As a result, I attended grades 4-6 in the California public school system which, fortunately for me, started band programs as early as the fifth grade. So, I began playing trumpet at the age of ten, 43 years ago.

When I decided to play in the school band, my desire was to play drums or saxophone. However, my parents owned two instruments--cast off from older siblings--so I was given a choice of either a Getzen cornet purchased new for my brother and an old metal clarinet another brother and sister had played. Needless to say, I went for the cornet!

Early in high school, the cornet was replaced by a Conn Connstellation that I bought used. In 1974, the Conn was replaced by an LA Benge 3X that I bought new (it's still my main horn). I've added to my stable of horns in the past few years, most recently a 1950 Olds Super that Charlie Melk completely restored for me.

After a somewhat self-imposed ten-year hiatus from my horn due job demands and excessive business travel, I started playing regularly again in 2002. Now, I play with two big bands (mostly the jazz book, sometimes lead) and occasionally sit in with our local symphony. At this point in my life, I plan to continue playing until I'm physically unable to do so. Hopefully, that time is many years away.
    Pete Blaise

1974 LA Benge 3x Bb
    1950 Olds Super Bb
    2002 Yamaha 8445GS C
    2004 Kanstul ZKF 1525 Flugel

Pianissimo User
    we started band in the 5th grade and since my dad was a really good trombone player that was the horn for me - unfortunately I was to short to reach the last several positions so I spent $50 of my paper-route money and bought and used conn cornet. never looked back. old geezer Dave
    L.A.Benge 2ML 16389
    L.A.Benge 2MLP 11745
    K- Allmen 1414
    Yamaha 231 Flugel 15383
    Olds Amb. Cornet 50734

Pianissimo User
    West Brookfield, MA
    When I was 12, a classmate who lived up the hill got a trumpet, so I wanted one. My Dad purchased a Buescher Aristocrat. He loved to hear me play. Still does.
    ZeuS Olympus ZTR 1000
    ZeuS Guarenius ZTR 900
    Ageis F2
    Bach 3C
    Bach 5C

"Let your words be soft and sweet. You never know when you will have to eat them!"

New Friend
    luke afb, arizona
    I started in 6th grade on percussion, but got tired of tap, tap, tap, etc. so i thought the baritone would be cool after 2 weeks i switched to cornet so i could talk to my best frind during class. 1 week later i was 1st chair and i had found the woman i was to marry (the trumpet). i had Conn cornet with a hole in the lead pipe the i put a band-aid on so you wouldn't here that annoying buzz.

In 8th grade i auditioned for H.S. band and made. Now my high school had 2 campuses a 9th garde campus and a 10-12th campus. The 9th grade campus had 2 bands. A concert band and another that if you didn't make the concert band it was like going back through middle school. I placed 1st chair in concert band, and when i went on to 10th placed first chair in wind ensemble. Saddly to say we did not have a jazz band. Shortly after high school i had a radiator blow in my face and had gotten 3rd degree burns from face half way down my chest. I got pretty discouraged and all but completely gave up the horn. That was almost 12 years ago and 2 months ago i pulled my trusted strad. out and now look out lead players i am coming for ya....not really but d@$n it i am not giving up this time i will be GRRRRRREAT.

Utimate User
    I was 12 and in 7th grade.

New Friend
    North Vancouver
    I always loved the sound of the french horn when I was younger so I went to a summer band program and played the french horn. In the fall of that year I joined the North Vancouver Youth Band but the band director at that time would not let us start on french horn but rather on the Eb melophone. I did not want to play that so I said I would play the trumpet instead. I have been playing ever since and now actually am the conductor of the senior division of that same band.
    1974 Benge 3X MLP
    1976 Getzen Eterna Fluegelhorn
    2007 Yamaha YTR6810S Piccolo

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information