Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss How/why did you start playing trumpet? in the General forums; I started in 6th grade. It was either chorus or band, and I chose band. We had a list of ...

Re: How/why did you start playing trumpet?

I started in 6th grade. It was either chorus or band, and I chose band. We had a list of instruments and had to pick one. My mom talked me out of clarinet (Not that many boys play clarinet.), drums (Do you really want to play a bell kit?), and tuba (Do you really want to handle an instrument that big?). Those weak arguments led me to the trumpet. Now I am a music major at the University of Tennessee and a huge drum corps fan. I think my mom had a hidden agenda because it's also her fault I love drum corps so much, but hey there are worse addictions lol.

I inherited my grandfathers horn. We had a decent band program in school. My first instructor was a clarinet teacher and in the 6th grade I had just about quit. A new teacher came and a fire was lit - so strong that it still shines brightly today - 40 years later.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Forte User

My mother just LOVED old Satchmo (still does; she´s celebrating her 91:th birthday todat actually, and YES, I´ve called her to congratulate her . . .)!

At my 11:th birthday I got my first trumpet. I soon started playing the jazz tunes by ear.

Brisbane in OZ

I was a bit of a late starter....I started learning when I was 15 as part of the 'Duke of Edinburgh award'. I had an old trumpet around the house and that decided which instrument to play. I only found out after that my estranged grandfather was a trumpet player who had his own big band in the UK after I started learning.

Pianissimo User
    Anchorage, AK

I started in 7th grade in Junior High. My first choice was percussion, but the band director preferred to pick kids who had been taking piano lessons for the percussion spots. Trumpet was my second choice, because they appeared to have more fun playing and got a lot of lead parts when the Junior High band played at my grade school. I started out on an old Bundy (which I still have), and played it all the way through high school. I was good enough to have played in college, but decided to give it up because I didn't have time to commit to it and work/go to school.

10 years after graduating high school, I'm back into playing again with the Anchorage Community Concert Band. And it's every bit as fun as it was back then.

Mouthpiece du jour: Bach 1.5C, Bach 10.5C

When I was 11 was very shy and though women would love a trumpeter rather than a very good student...
    F. Pérez
    Historical Brass Instruments
    Super-Horns & Custom Trumpets

Northern Michigan

Hmm. I've always been a fan of the cornet. I got my first one when I was about 10 or so--an old Getzen 300-series. It sounded great, but promptly desoldered itself to pieces. I then talked my parents into getting me a better cornet for my 13th birthday. I played a bunch of old cornets at a music store and the best of the bunch was an Olds Ambassador. I made it mine and loved it for 25 years, selling it just last year to a co-worker so his kid would have something decent to play.

I always played bass instruments in the school bands--first the bass clarinet, then the tuba, along with the electric bass in jazz band. The cornet gave me something handy to noodle around with to work on playing melodies. It was a great artistic outlet for me, and a nice relief from all the oom-pah stuff. My best friend was a trumpeter, and I used to play second with him on all sorts of duets. He loved my Ambassador cornet and we sometimes traded horns for a few days.

My first trumpet, a Besson BE709, should arrive via UPS this week along with a Schilke 20d2d 'piece. My current ensemble is working up some Texas swing material and it just cries out for a trumpet. I can't wait for the horn to get here--it's going to be so much fun!
    Ursa's collection...
    1929 Holton Monster E-flat tuba
    1932 Conn 6E New Wonder alto horn
    1937 Indiana Band Instrument Company E-flat sousaphone
    1956 Holton Super Collegiate trumpet - Copper/Nickel/Brass
    1964 Holton Collegiate cornet
    1966 Conn 4D Artist "French" horn
    1967 Olds Ambassador cornet
    1969 King Silver Flair trumpet
    1995 Yamaha YEP-321S euphonium
    2006 Blessing XL-CR cornet

Prescott, AZ

My father played trumpet/cornet when he was in high school.

(circa, 1944)

So, it was kinda natural that I wanted to emulate him. Plus, listening to and falling in love with all of his Rafael Mendez and Harry James records when I was just a small kid also planted the seed.

I started in 4th grade and played throughout high school myself.

(circa, 1968)

I dabbled off and on throughout the years, but didn't make a true "comeback" until three years ago when I put together an 8-piece oldies band made up of fellow (geezer) Federal law enforcement types where I work.

My Dad passed away this past October. Sadly and ironically, we were playing a gig on the other side of the country at the exact time of his passing.

I'm sure he must've heard me playing for him . . . .
    Steve Bolander

Schilke B2, Benge Burbank 3X trumpet, Benge LA 3X flugel, Olds Mendez (long) cornet, Olds LA Super (1944), Getzen Picollo

London UK

I started playing the Cornet at age 13 (about 1974) and was doing quite well untill one day a friend of mine decided to play me his latest album he'd bought, It was 'Live in Japan' by Deep Purple... Cornet went and a Fender Strat came in... Never did become the next Ritchie Blackmore though. Started playing the Trumpet again about 9 months ago and I'm really enjoying it.
    Olds Ambassador 1978
    Bach TR300
    Getzen 300
    Ryton Strad 37ML Copy

"I would never Join a club that would have me as a member" Groucho Marx.

New Friend

Thumbs up Re: How/why did you start playing trumpet?

Children in scottish schools are given an aural test aged 10 and people with high marks get given an instrument to learn, so thats how I started - through no choice of my own!

Aged 14 I joined a youth jazz orchestra and never looked back - after 4 years, I started tutoring that orchestra and now I study jazz at a UK conservatoire.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information