Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss How/why did you start playing trumpet? in the General forums; I started listening when I was about 6yo to James Last, then I switched to Satchmo and Chet (everything dad ...
    Rome, Italy

Re: How/why did you start playing trumpet?

I started listening when I was about 6yo to James Last, then I switched to Satchmo and Chet (everything dad listened to), then... at 11 Deep Purple and the Who (Tommy rock opera), so I began to play guitar and then bass, after switching to more "progressive" music (jazz rock, funk).
    When I was 18 I felt in love with a girl that played tenor sax, we went to see Coppola's "One from the Heart" and I felt in love again with the atmosphere, Tom Waits voice and Jack Sheldon trumpet led me to buy a chinese tp and start playing (no teacher!) with some "results".
    When I was 26 I stopped playing at all, but got degree, work, family.
    Got back in music at 39, on bass, guitar and then 3 years ago I bought a B&S Challenger I trumpet and re-started (this time with teacher and daily study approach).
    It's a wonderful way of playing, directly from the heart!!!

New Friend
    Fredericksburg VA

I started in sophomore year (10th grade) of HS. My mom tried to teach me piano, but I just couldn't get the hang of playing all those notes simultaneously. I thought the trumpet was pretty cool, and a lot easier, only one note at a time. Also, got free lessons from our music teacher. He was band and chorus director as well as teacher. Played 10 years in HS and college, then rested for 50 years, am taking it up again to play with the grandkids. Still have the same 1940 Conn 12A Coprion cornet, all original, very good playing horn. Needs some lacquer, though.

New Friend

Lived in Naval Housing and heard someone playing when I was around 10.We moved to Ontario when I was 13 and my parents put us in Sea Cadets,told the Officer I wanted to play in the band,he asked what I played,I lied and told him trumpet at which he gave me a horn-in-a-box,went home and learnt by just playing.Did this for 3 years of playing by ear then joined the High School Band.Suffered through trying to read but managed to get to first.Buddies of mine started up a rock band around 1971,played(Chicago,Lighthouse and BS&T) school dances and then the bar circuit till 1976........girls,work,marriage and kids....packed up the horn till 1996 got back into it for another 10 years......girls,work,marriage and kids.....packed up the horn...........gettin the itch again,who knows,may never put it down again,till I go down.

71 Selmer Paris
    19?? Bach Strad Anniversary

Pianissimo User
    Miami, Fl

I started playing in 6th grade as the result of switching into a magnet program band to stay in class with friends. Started playing on some indian made garbage and in highschool 5 years later got a used Schilke X3 after being inspiried by my instructor who really opened me up to music Now its a part of my life.
    Schilke X3 - Bach 3C
    Yamaha Yfh 8310z- Shew Flgl.

it was in '62. The answer is Miles, Miles and Miles...And also because my mother and grandmother were piano teachers. Ah kids!

Good Thread! I started in 6th grade (a long time ago), my Dad took me to a High School football game where I saw a female trumpet player do a solo during the halftime show. I knew right then that's what I wanted to do. My first horn was an Olds Mendez, wishing now I had kept it. Second horn was a Yamaha YTR639, wishing I had kept that one too. I am a self taught trumpet player with a less than perfect embouchure, not taking lessons of any kind until my Sophomore year of High School. I was also the first student in my School to become Drum Major as a Sophomore. I was in every band we had at School and had my own band that played at all the basketball games. After I graduated we moved to AL where I continued playing until I entered the Navy. After not playing for 15 or so years I'm back at it, playing as much as I can.
    And believe it or not a few years ago I met the girl (all grown up) who inspired me to start playing trumpet. I walked up to her, introduced myself, thanked her, and gave her a big hug. She blushed and simply said "you're welcome".
    Comeback player after 15 years.
    Horn: Blessing B127 Silver

Mouthpieces: Bach 7C, Curry 7Z, Curry 7M, Yamaha 14A4aHGP, Schilke 14B

New Friend
    Chicago Area

This thread is very interesting!

Like most of you, the urge to play started in grade school...about 6th grade. However I never had a mpc to my lips until about 2 years ago...I'm 56 years old.

My dad was a very good amature piano player. I have 3 siblings. My dad tried to teach all of us the piano at one time or another, but when it came to me, I fought doing my practicing and the lessons. You know, teaching and parents don't work that well together. Needless to say, my dad didn't want to keep up the fight and decided to not push piano on me.

I was attending to a very small parochial school, and this one day, a band instrument dealer came in to the school and tried to start a band (or was it that he wanted to sell instruments?) I think his name was Harold Hill. Anyway, when I went home that night and told my parents that I wanted to play the trumpet, they said, "You didn't take the piano seriously, How do we know that you will be serious with any other instrument?" and they said no. I've held a concious or subconcious resentment about that ever since. (I did start the guitar in high school and I still plink on it now.)

I was telling my sister the story about 2 years ago and she said, "Go do it now!" So I did. The only regret is that I didn't do it much sooner. I wish I had a lot more experience behind me and I wish I could get much better much faster.

New Zealand

I started playing at 13yrs old, but I do remember being fascinated as a child when I saw (and heard) Wynton on Sesame Street. I'd never seen a Trumpet before then, and with nobody in my family owning an ounce of musical ability, I guess you could say I was "hooked".
    Now, I've been playing for 20yrs, and the last 13 of them professionally.

No looking back >-iii-
    Good old Bach Strad 37ML
    Zeus Olympus 1000ABL
    Yamaha YFH-631 Flugel
    Courtois Flugel (Older model)
    GR 66M Chase Sanborn Model (Jazz & Small Group)
    GR 66MS Chase Sanborn Model (Lead)
    GR 66FL Chase Sanborn model - Flugel

Central Florida

Wow, where do I start....

I've always been around music as long as I can remember... In fact, one of my earliest childhood memories is of watching my oldest brother playing his electric guitar. Both of my parents played the piano regularly; my mother was always playing Beethoven or Bach & my dad has been playing the same Scott Joplin rags as long as I can remember.

As far back as I can remember, I'd always wanted a guitar... finally got one for Christmas when I was 8 & have played ever since, but that's another story.

As for the trumpet, it was my mother who encouraged me to join the band when I started junior high school (around 1985?). I'm not really sure how I ended up on the trumpet... maybe it was because the band director was a trumpet player, or perhaps (unbeknown to me at the time) because both my mother and grandfather had also played in their youth. For some reason, though, it just seemed like that was the instrument for me.

Playing the trumpet came naturally to me. I landed first chair in the concert, marching, and jazz bands within my first year of playing and stayed there in just about every group I was in all the way through college (until I dropped out, at least). I also landed 1st chair in all-state and tri-state bands and played a few seasons with the Disney Honor Band (I think that's what it was called, at least ).

I was originally a music education major in college, figuring that I'd have something to fall back on in case I wasn't able to perform professionally.

However, after three or four years, I started to burn out. I had moved out of state to attend college in the middle of nowhere (followed a girl... bad idea), spent all day attending classes and all night working to make ends meet. I barely had time to sleep, let alone get any real practice or study time in. I ended up dropping out of school & putting down my horn after a bad breakup with the above mentioned girl, and I then moved in with some friends in Austin, TX.

About 7 or 8 years after that (and after I had moved home to FL), I got a call from a former fraternity brother asking if I'd be interested in helping him put together a big band. Well, that lasted about 6 months before the sax section imploded and people stopped showing up for practice. With no reason to practice anymore, I stopped playing again.

That lasted until about two years ago when I answered an ad posted in the 'online classifieds' at my work looking for a lead guitar player. When they started talking about doing a couple of songs with horn parts, I picked up my trusty LA Benge 5X (as seen in my avatar) and found that the trumpet was fun again!

I'm now practicing 3 to 4 times a week and playing regularly on 4 or 5 tunes with the rock band. I'm also looking into joining up with a community band or something just for kicks.

P.S. thanks to a very understanding and supportive wife, I am also the owner of a brand new Kanstul 991 'Mariachi premiere'

Piano User
    Kankakee, IL

Bother was in 6th grade band, I was mad because I had to wait till next year. When I got there I wanted to play TUBA. We counted for over a month every day and then we got to try horns. Well I wanted the TUBA and foudn out the school only had 2. One went home with the Advanced Band Senior and one staye in class and I could not play it. BOOOO.... Did not like the baritone and did not want to be a Boner (brother played that) so band director pulled out a very good condition bul old Reynolds Cornet and said try this. Blew a very nice G and sked if I coul make te not change and got out C up and down. Mr Goodwin said, no Tuba for you, you need to play this. So I was stuck as I did not want to quit my band class. Well by Christmas I played Hi C and been played it through High School. ABand Director for Quartz Hill asked me (and brother too) to play in the Community Band and Brass Ensemble at the local Junior College. Wish I could have kept that up, that was FUN and Challenging.Took 16 years off when I joined the Navyand for numerous years after. My wife when we were going out bought me an old trumpet to join her in going to our Legion Band & now starting my 4th season with my Band and now just started taking lessons too with a CG Method techer. Neat stuff. Gotta get back into trumpet shape and at least AT LEAST get better than when I was in High School. First target.
    Kanstul Chicago 1001 w/ Kanstul M-B11 P (Monette B1-1 Prana)
    Conn 80A w/ CG Personal GP

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information