Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss How/why did you start playing trumpet? in the General forums; My experience has some in common with Veery's. When my life was not going the right direction I found refuge ...
    Forte User
    Near Portland, OR.

Re: How/why did you start playing trumpet?

My experience has some in common with Veery's. When my life was not going the right direction I found refuge and relief in music. I rediscovered good music in my 20's, first with Tchaikovsky's piano concerto#1. Then I started listening to Mozart and actually paying attention and a whole universe opened up. I read about and listened to everything, from Miles to Fela to Pygmy polyphonies to Bach, Respighi or Janacek.

I grew up hearing Maurice Andre during car trips or at home with my parents and rediscovered that too, and was totally taken by it. From as long as I can remember I used to breathe in rythmic patterns and even hum while breathing, even in these strenuous Alpine hikes. I had that urge in me to get music out but I never learned as a kid. Being unable to play was a tremendous frustration and even compounded with depression issues I had at the time. Then I decided that I had do something.

So I got my life in order, did away with bad habits and toxic acquaintances and started to learn an instrument. I wanted something with a vast repertoire and plenty of genres, that I would power with my breath. Saxophones were to darn expensive. I thought about clarinet but all these fingerings...
    My oldest childhood memory of being excited about music was with Louis Armstrong, and my favorite listening at the time of my life change were Miles and M.A., so the choice kinda imposed itself. Life's up and downs have kept me away from the horn at times but I never let go of it and always carried it in my travels, expecting the moment I could start playing again. I'm there now and loving every minute of it, even the bad days, even the inconsistency, the limitations, all of it.

Selmer Radial, Bb.
    Yamaha YTR4420E, C.
    1930 Couesnon cornet

A mind that masters the breath
    Creates strength (Lao-Tzu).

Pianissimo User

It's not so long ago that I was a boy but it's still the past..
    I've always had music on my mind, generally humming along to whatever it has been that I've been listening to, that wouldnt get me very far but I suspect it helped with singing in key and in tune when I initially tried karaoke at a friends birthday party with some success.. this created some "what ifs" and some lateral thinking regarding the world of music.. I was looking to try singing again but I'd been getting into vintage cameras and a night came when I was detirmined to test a new buy so I headed off for town and found out it was karaoke night in Rotherhams only rock/ blues and jazz bar.. got singing and did quite well.. became friends with some customers and some musicians, saw plenty of bands there and was desperate to learn an instrument, partly as a way of gaining more respect at jam nights.. tried cello for a bit but it's a pain in the ***.. figured it was either going to be clarinet, saxophone or trumpet to go with my sort of music and decided on the trumpet because there are only 3 valves.. lol. Anyway, I got some respect and generally enjoy learning the trumpet by myself.
    Rossmeisl Trumpet
    Marius Roche Flugelhorn
    Conn Victor 80A
    Conn 56B
    Lidl Rotary Trumpet

New Friend
    Atlanta, GA

Mine's not exactly awe-inspiring, that part came after I'd been playing for a few years. But the town I went to elementary school in didn't offer band until 6th grade. Right before 6th grade my family moved to another school system which had been offering band to their students since the 4th grade. I felt like I was going to be really behind, so I went with my parents to the music store that summer to pick an instrument and sign up for lessons. I narrowed my decision to trombone and trumpet. In my little 11-year-old mind, the trombone had a bigger range than the trumpet because of that big slide. So I came SO close to choosing trombone For some reason I don't really remember, I wound up going with the trumpet. Thank goodness.
    Bach 180S37
    Yamaha Xeno YTR-8445

Pianissimo User

Originally I started playing when I was 6, when my gramps took to me with him to an audition and told me to try out any of the instruments. I tried the trumpet and played perfect clean C on it. That's how I first started playing, well then I had been playing for little over 6 years when puberty hit and I kind of lost discipline, became a regular punk. About half a year ago I started playing again and the reason was, I then first listened to Balkan-style brass music and I was like "wow". The music sent shivers down my spine, and I knew instantly what I wanted to do. And thanks to the trumpet I fixed my haywired discipline and I got rid of bad habits such as smoking. It's amasing actually how an instrument can pack such a punch on a person
    Last edited by ska; 01-23-2010 at 05:05 AM.

New Friend
    Madison, Mississippi

I grew up listening to Herb Alpert and the TJB. I immediately fell in love with the trumpet. I remember as a kid asking for a trumpet every year for Christmas. I got a lot of trumpets... the plastic toy kind. Finally, in middle school (junior high back then) I decided I'd be a drummer. When I spoke to the band director that first time and he aske what instrument I had in mind playing, I said "the trumpet." I just kinda fell out of my mouth. So, in the 8th grade I got my first trumpet, a silver Yamaha 232. All these years later I still love making music on the trumpet.
    Cleveland Superior Bb
    Yamaha 232 Bb

Fortissimo User Buck with a Bach's Avatar
    Canton, Ohio

Cool Re: How/why did you start playing trumpet?

5th grade,and my Mom. she had a big thing for Harry James going back to her teen years. i wasn't a big kid, and was lousy at sports anyway. once I found i could make a horn sound fairly good, that was it. At least I could shine at something..........Buck
    Bach Artist LTD-1
    Yamaha YTR-732( now gone)
    Selman C, rose brass( ongoing experiment)
    72 Olds Custom Crafted

Selman Flugle( I know, it's Chinese)( Any body got a Getzen valve block I can put in this thing?)
    Conn 17A Cornet
    Bugles across America

New Friend

How: rather poorly at first!

Why: This one is easy. There was no one more beloved in our home than Louis Armstrong when I was a kid (born in '52). My father was a child of the depression who grew into a working class man with 5 children to take care of, so he never got the chance to play himself. He did have an extensive collection of records that became the soundtrack of my childhood: Satchmo, Al Hirt, Dixieland, Count Basie, Duke Ellington and Clyde McCoy to name a few. He had a pretty strict rule that once you went upstairs to bed, you didn't come back down for anything less than a fire or an earthquake - unless Louis Armstrong happened to be on TV. In that case, I was roused from whatever stage of slumber to come and see the great man play, sing "Oh, yeah" and wipe his brow with the ever-present white handkerchief. Then it was back to bed.

I started on a standard-issue Conn rental in fifth grade and appeared to have some aptitude. By the end of jr high school, my band director convinced my father I needed a better horn. He knew of a college student that needed money to get married and had one for sale for the princely sum of $150 which was supposed to be something of a steal for a 1953 Olds Recording in the summer of 1966. Where dad got the money, I'll never know, but I do know that it was important to him for me to have the opportunity he never got.

I played all through high school and fancied playing in the Ohio U marching band when my own dreams took a back seat to economic realty and I ended up working my way through school instead. The Olds was tucked away and occasionally I would give it a toot but nothing consistent. Then I became a father and I honestly don't know where the time went. But music was still all around us and both sons became sax players and are now raising their own families. I thought about the old horn when my dad passed and after my elder son bought a cheap soprano sax off the internet. Wanting to start playing again, I wondered whether I should likewise buy a cheapie or fix up the old one. Thankfully I got some good advice and got the Olds fixed up about a year ago. Since then I have rediscovered the joy of playing and with a little more loose change than usual I have added an Ambassador and an Ambassador cornet. I am celebrating my 58th birthday today awaiting delivery of my latest ebay purchase, a used Amati Kraslice flugelhorn.

Pianissimo User

When I was aged 5 at infants school we had recorder classes, playing the most inane drivel. At one class I questioned why we were playing rubbish tunes. The teacher asked me what tunes I would like to play whereupon I played to her "Billy Don't Be A Hero" by Paper Lace which was in the charts at the time and I'd picked up by ear with no idea that it was unusual for a 5 year old. I was immediately whisked away to the local music centre where a Lark cornet was thrust into my grubby mitts along with a copy of A Tune A Day. I was fortunate enough to have a succession of trumpet and piano teachers who recognised the value of learning to play by ear alongside a more scholarly approach and this was the start of what has given me a priviledged career and a wonderful hobby.
    Bach Strad A190 LR43 Bronze bell
    Olds Custom Eb/D trumpet
    Olds L-12 flugel
    Olds Opera Premiere cornet
    Eclipse flugel

Banned Pianissimo User
    outside of Philadelphia

I was in the 6th grade and had just transferred from a Catholic school where there was no music program, to a public school. The band director came in to class one day and said he was short on trumpets. So I asked my parents about it. My mom was in a printing business partnership with a woman who had 3 musician sons. One used to play trumpet, but switched to baritone. So they showed me his trumpet, I picked it up and was immediately able to produce a decent tone on 2nd line G. The 3 musician sons declared me a "natural" and their mom GAVE me the Pedler trumpet for free. 1 year later I was sent to Jimmy Burke for lessons who taught me "A Trumper's Lullaby" in time for the NSSMA solo competition where I received an "A" on my solo. That was a grade 3 solo. The next year he taught me the Kaminsky Concerto, a grade 6 for which I also receieved an "A". I then moved to Albuquerque and in 11th grade was 1st trumpet, 2nd chair in the All-State Concert Band. Then I quit playing until I heard Chuck Mangiones trumpet section at the Olympics, figuring if they could get paid to play that poorly, so could I.........................

I started in 5th grade as just another new kid in the band program... But now I am one of the leaders I was inspired by high school kids that came. I come from a non-music family

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread Information