Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss How young is too young? in the General forums; Royal Canadian Air Cadet involve people from 12 to 19 years old. As brass instructor (simply to most experienced member ...
    New Friend
    Royal Canadian Air Cadet involve people from 12 to 19 years old. As brass instructor (simply to most experienced member of the band), I get to treach trumpet and euphonium to 12 yeras old child and usually, I can do something no too bads with there playing. Most of the time, the problem isn't in the body, but in volonty with them!
    -= 709 royal canadian air cadet squadron brass instructor =-

I started playing aged 4 in the Salvation Army junior band. When I lost my milk teeth I switched to tenor horn for a year or so - come on how hard could it be to play one of those?
    I graduated to the trumpet aged 10 but remained self-taught until I got my first teacher at the age of 13. I guess it didn't do me too much harm in the long run although I had developed some bad playing techniques which took years to sort out. On the plus side I can't remember a time when I couldn't read music and I feel naked without a trumpet case over my shoulder - I other words there is a part of my playing which feels totally natural to me.
    However I would agree that, in general 10 or 12 years old is a good time to start learning the trumpet.

All the best, Noel.

Mezzo Forte User bigaggietrumpet's Avatar
    My brother and I both started with piano lessons in the third grade, and then started with the cornet in the 6th grade, and about 3/4 of the way through my 7th grade year I got my beloved Omega. I definitely recommend starting on the piano for at LEAST a year before the trumpet. They start to develop the ear and learn the notation, plus it turns out that a lot of women really like a guy who can serenade them like Harry Connick, Jr. 8)
    Michael Smith
    Hullabaloo: The official band of Texas A&M Basketball
    Kanstul 1537/ Schilke 14
    LA Olds Studio

New Friend
    My dad had me buzzing while was still in a crib. He'd lean over and buzz and I'd buzz back. I was doomed from the start...

Piano User
    I have a son that has been blowing on one of my old horns since he was four! The kid haunts my practice sessions and then goes and tries things on the old horn. He's almost six now and I'm working on having him learn notes on the piano. I figure in another year I'll get him a pocket trumpet and by the time he's ten I'll buy him his first trumpet.

I started at the age of ten. I guess it all depends on the kid.....

Bill
    Gabriel is NOT a woodwind player!

Fortissimo User
    I used to buzz in the crib too. The only problem is, the buzz today sounds like the buzz of 56 years ago!

Is this too early??

Custom Bach Stad 43
    81' MF ST-302
    51' Olds Super (LA)
    631 Yamaha Flugel
    ***Working on***
    Yamaha Xeno
    Martin Committee

Hello Everyone!
    I think that the disposition and enthusiasm, or lack thereof, is more important than a specific age. I started playing when I was 6, but with no private instruction and no music program it was a frustrating on/off thing for many years until I got to a school with a music program. Three friends of mine, triplets as a side note, didn't start until much later than most kids; I believe they were 10 or 11 and now they are on their way to the type of professional career that most of us just dream of! If the kid is excited about the horn by all means encourage them!

Have a Great Day,
    Dan
    Why are we so obsessed with bore size? Are we trying to compensate for something?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information