Trumpet Discussion Discuss Hummel Help - Turns in the General forums; Is there a good way to go about doing the 8 measures of turns in the hummel? They are a ...
    New Friend

Hummel Help - Turns

Is there a good way to go about doing the 8 measures of turns in the hummel? They are a booger, and I'm not real sure how to approach them. Looking for a bit of guidance.

Forte User
    Indianapolis, In

Re: Hummel Help - Turns

I have heard many soloists not do the turns, but instead make them mordents. I believe there is even an edition that prints it that way.

New Friend

I'll second that method. You have to slow the whole thing down way too much to get those turns to not sound like the dog's breakfast. Cool if you can get them, but you wouldn't be alone in leaving them out.
    Bach 37
    Bach 239GH, 25R
    JZ pocket trumpet
    Vincent Bach Corp. 1 1/4 C

It's a bit easier to do the actual turns on an E-flat trumpet than a B-flat or C trumpet, since you only have two finger combinations to worry about, just second valve and just third valve.

If you spend some time with the keyed trumpet that this was written for, you discover that "spectacular" is not really part of the design specifications.

That being said, if the performance lives or dies on the type of turn, then there are other problems.

I think the "correct" way is to present something that sounds like it belongs in the melodical flow. I have tried to implement real turns and never was 100% happy with the musical results. Even if it is in time, to me it sounds like the player is trying to shoehorn something in that really doesn't fit. The really ornate turns are suitable for the second movement however.

As far as historinc background goes, checking out Hummels violin and piano (he was a virtuoso piano player) works gives you some typical application use cases.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Thread Information