Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss I bought my first trumpet!! in the General forums; Hi, don't get discouraged by some of these comments. Likely a Chinese made horn from some manufacturer there and sold ...
    Kalamazoo, Michigan

Re: I bought my first trumpet!!

Hi, don't get discouraged by some of these comments. Likely a Chinese made horn from some manufacturer there and sold under the Marquez name. I like the ist valve adjustable ring feature. As long as the valves work well, it is tuneable and gets a decent tone, that's all you need to get started and find out if you want to stick with the trumpet, which we hope you do.
    I bought my Taiwanese Barrington "student" on clearance for less than you paid and am very happy with the quality and playability and have been playing since 1955 on a variety of quality instruments.

Hang in there, get acquainted with the horn and make your own judgements as time goes on. Advice is also sound on the value of used King, Holton, Conn , Getzen, etc student models if in good condition.
    Dave Rafferty
    Spartan for Life
    ???? Barrington trumpet
    1968 Besson 2-20 trumpet
    1960's B & H Embassy trumpet
    1967 Conn Connquest cornet
    ???? Devillier (stencil) Trumpet German?
    ???? Besson 609
    1957 Besson 8-10 Trumpet
    Portage Senior Center Dance Band
    Kalamazoo Checkers Swing Band

Forte User

Hey there, hitman0042!

Playing the trumpet is a GOOD choice!!
    Starting of with a cheap trumpet is a WISE choice!!

I agree with what sais, so; get practising
    and enjoy all the progress you will make!

Besides, I have been told from others that there are
    trp´s at half the price you´ve paid that are OK, most
    of them unknown brands from Asia.

Just GO FOT IT!!

Forte User

Sorry, should be "FOR" it.

Pianissimo User

Plus if like the trumpet the more you save the sooner you can get a nicer horn
    Bach Stradivarius Trumpet
    Yamaha Xeno Cornet
    YFH-8310Z Flugel Horn
    YTR-6445H C Trumpet

Seattle, WA

What's the old proverb: Every journey begins with a first step?

I started on a Bundy. It had the tonal qualities of a boat anchor (and was just about as heavy), but it was a servicable horn, and I played the heck out of it. It's been mentioned before, but you'll learn a lot as you get better, and as you get better you should take every opportunity to try other horns and talk to more experienced players about their experiences.

Good luck!

Pianissimo User

I'd also second the idea of looking for a vintage pro horn next.

I've got my 8yr old starting out on a Getzen Capri Cornet I picked up for around $100 when a local music store when out of business. He sounds the same on it or any of my other horns.

Just getting something that can be serviced and will hold up and not frustrate you is really all you need to start.

I chose the getzen for my son due to its reputation for great valves. Sticky valves will drive any player crazy much less someone starting out.
    1984 Bach Stradivarius Model 37
    1984 Yamaha 6335S
    1961 Buescher Super Aristrocrat
    1939 Holton Model 45 Trumpet
    1953 Blessing Standard - Autographed by Chris Botti in 2007

Comeback hobbyist player

Ithaca NY

Here is the Marquez website About Us page:
    Marquez Music, Acoustic Guitar, Electric Acoustic Guitar, Steel String Guitar - About Us

It seems to me that they are not trying to fool the public about their products (not an Image flugelhorn!), and there is every possibility the trumpet is OK for hitman. Remember that in Australia it is much more difficult and expensive to buy a trumpet, especially one made in the USA. So let's encourage him. Go, hitman, go!
    Nothing is more contagious or tenacious than music. Once you are exposed it gets inside you and you can never get rid of it. It is also non-discriminating. It can be Ride of the Valkyries, In a Gadda da Vida, the Jeopardy 15 second thinking tune, your most disliked commercial jingle - it doesn't matter. Once triggered, off you go, like it or not.

I'm thinking of up grading myself . I have four cheap trumpets which stick on me one less than the rest , thats the one I use most. It gets a little frustrating by times. I'm at about intermediate level , have you guys got any advice ?

Banned Piano User

Yer your right. Australia is expensive!. Trumpets range from $1000-$5000. As long as i can practice on it and proper music n notes come out, thats all that matters. Thanks for all the replys lol i was sitting here for 15min jst reading them all lol. When i went to America last Winter (American Winter) so xmas time. I found that there were huge differences in price in everything. Eg. You can get the best pair of Levi jeans for $50 in USA in Australia $150-$200!. But i understand USA is Jazz capital and therefore USA brass instruments would most likely be better. But then a again, i dont no. I havnt played a wide variety of trumpet sop i cant tell the difference. Anyway ill let you know how it goes when it comes. Oh by the way the trumpet comes with a 7c mouth piece. My teacher said 7c isnt very good, do oyu know any other size i should look out for?

New Friend

Hey Dwindham. How do you like your Yamaha 6335S? Jerry

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information