Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss I Don't Know Anymore in the General forums; Huh? She's this NOT this Uh...
    Sunny Ca.

Re: I Don't Know Anymore

She's this

NOT this

" It's a dog eat dog world out there and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear" Norm Peterson "Cheers"

"No matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up" Lilly Tomlin

Mezzo Piano User

Freshman year for me was iffy, I got braces and I felt like my playing was going completely down hill. I started working hard on my playing, doing range exercises, practicing hard, and perfecting drills. Yea I got the range, whoop die do. But I heard from others my tone was dying off. So I took a break from exercises, just played for pure FUN. No goals in my practice sessions, didn't even call them practice sessions, I just took out my trumpet and played my heart out, for enjoyment. If I liked a song, I would figure it out by ear, and I gathered a new skill from it, plus in the process, without the heavy load on my chops, my tone slowly gathered itself up again, and now MY tone is back. The tone I had for a little bit, was not me, you know stuffy, you could hear my mood in it, and it was saggy. With a new view in mind, and against what many may say A BREAK ( this summer I took a three week one, picked up my trumpet today, tone is sounding gorgeous), your playing might come back.

Im a sophomore aswell, and other then a couple of jazz scales I need memorized, I don't practice anything fancy anymore, I do a quick warmup of a concert Bb and a couple other scales, and take a song I like on the radio and figure it out. Don't stress your chops and start getting in your head the idea your tone is bad. I did that, it didn't end up well, I overpracticed (there is a thread on here somewhere..............) and overstressed, killing my tone.

I don't know if what I wrote makes sense, its summer my brain is on vacation, but thats all I got, good luck in fixing your tone.

1970 Bach Stradivarius 37
    1970s Buescher Aristocrat-student horn
    2012 Dynasty Professional Marching Trumpet

Raiders Drum and Bugle Corps-'11, '12

Why G bugles need to come back to DCI

Other stuff:
    Honda Fourtrax 300 4x4 2002
    Honda Fourtrax 300 2x4 1998
    Polaris Indy 500 1998
    Polaris 550 2-up 2007
    Polaris 800 XCR 1999 with custom suspension

Fortissimo User
    Yorba Linda, CA

Quote Originally Posted by erd402 View Post
    Getting a private teacher is hopefully in the near future. Coming from a family of six living off one source of income theres not much money for anything extra. Being only 15 its hard to get a job but I'm searching. I have a friend who can hook me up in about 6 months and then I can get some private lessons and work towards a nice trumpet. As for listening to jazz and stuff, I'm listening to Vizzutti right now
    In which city do you live? Maybe someone here knows someone or has an idea of how to get you in touch with a mentor or instructor that can work with you on a casual basis until you can afford regular lessons. There are many people who are eager to help young up-and-coming musicians. If you live in Southern California, I would be willing to help. My wife and my daughter both do that for young guitar students.

Try ALL of the above suggestions. If you really plan to be a musician, you will find a way to absorb new ideas in many different ways.

Good luck.
    Come-Back Kid
    - - - - - - - - -
    Selmer Invicta London ('56)
    Olds Recording ('58, '59, '60)
    Olds Super ('51, '63, '66, '67, '68, '69)
    Olds Standard ('46)
    Olds SuperStar ('71, '72)
    Olds Studio ('55, '59, '70)
    Olds Special ('51, '56, '58, '60, '62,'68,'73)
    Olds Ambassador (a few: '49-'79)
    Olds Flugelhorn ('70)
    (+Eastman, Besson 609 , Conn Director, King Cleveland, Holton Collegiate, Blessing Accord,
    Conn Severinsen, York, Yamaha, Getzen, Amati, Revelle, Bundy, Alcazar)

Levittown , NY

You've probably developed some bad habits, and the only way to find and correct them is to get a private teacher. No need to start all over ,just fix or tune-up what you already have , then go from there.

Greensboro, NC

here's a thought. If you know a GOOD teacher, see if they will trade lessons for chores around the house. Like yard work, etc.
    Bob Grier, An Old Pro
    Web Cam trumpet & jazz improvisation lessons

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information