Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss I Don't Know Anymore in the General forums; Me and my first trumpet will soon be celebrating our sixth anniversary Over the six years I've made alot of ...
    Pianissimo User

I Don't Know Anymore

Me and my first trumpet will soon be celebrating our sixth anniversary
    Over the six years I've made alot of progress but once I got to high school last year I think I actually kind of started to roll down hill. I remember being able to confidently hit notes I can barely hit anymore. I don't sound near as good as i used to. I can't play anything without screwing it up terribly. I've recently been thinking that maybe I need a fresh start. Just forget everything I know about playing trumpet and start re-learning it. Would this be a good idea or is there something else I should do? I'm going into the tenth grade and would like to study music in college but with the way I'm playing now I could never make my way through an audition to get into the music department for the college I would like to go to. Starting over sounds like the best idea to me, but how should I go about doing this? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mezzo Forte User

Re: I Don't Know Anymore

After six years as you improved everyone noticed and commented; you noticed to, and it was fun.

Now you have a "standard" to live up to, and even over achieve. Everybody expects this of you, they say you could go pro. You've already got a college chosen you want and you're just going into 10th.

You do need to forget about everything else but what you know about playing trumpet.

Have fun this year playing in school, remove the going pro pressure from your shoulders and think of putting that off for a few years. This is how you'll start over!

I think that the best thing to do would be to meet an instructor and have him diagnose your problem. In any case, re-learning the trumpet would be VERY hard, and I just don't see how it could be done. It's not like you can just magic away your previous skill.

Clean your horn, put in new felts, corks, valve springs, clean your case in and out, get a new mouthpiece, new book to work on. Shake it up, get a lesson, go try some new horns for fun. Play something you know well as good and as beautifully as you can, record it, listen to it. Play it for your mom. Have fun!
    (Above/left) Alexanders ragtime band-circa 1960

Chalmers Big and Tall midwest sales district credit card division

I was gratified to be able to answer promptly, and I did. I said I didn't know.
    Mark Twain
    "Strive to have enemies that define you"

Forte User

If you are as interested in trumpet as you say with being a music major in college it is time to find a good competant teacher. Let them work with you, do everything they tell you to do, and then see where you are in playing. With the right teacher and practice you may be surprised how far your playing will improve. Give yourself an honest and fair chance.

I agree. If you are truely serious about a career in music, a good teacher is a must have. Find one fast.
    Bob Grier, An Old Pro
    Web Cam trumpet & jazz improvisation lessons
    www.bobgriermusic.com

Pianissimo User

Hey man,

I'm not as great as prolly nearly everyone else on this board at playing, but I've found myself in the same shoes before. I'm a junior in high school and I honestly don't know the differance between how i sound now and how I used to. But I know I do things better now, people tell me i do, and sometimes i go back and play stuff I used to and really feel better.

So I have three tips that I would share:

1. Playing trumpet is a mental thing. If you thing your sucking, your gonna tend to have a bad attitude about it and it WILL inhibit your progress. Get inspired...go watch Rocky haha

2. As previously stated, get a good teacher if your serious about it. Having a professional tell you what your doing wrong AND right will help.

3. Go back and play some things you used to play if you can, and maybe you'll see if it's a real problem or just in your head

I hope that helps

Hi erd402 (Young Gun),
    Guess what - you are getting a little older....good and bad news.
    That means those facial muscles, lips, and general structure is setting; and next you'll be shaving next. Those muscles and tissues will have a solid memory as long as you still play and practice.

You have had some good advice here, and also understand that now you may be in the throws of understanding your own sound. It probably is in your head...so listen to as much good quality trumpet CDs as you can, Legit, Latin, Big band, Improvised...and this will really help your head to get THAT sound you want.

You have a Vision and Goal for yourself, go make that Dream a reality !! Have Fun and Good luck,
    Peter
    Schagerl - Killer Queen Flugel
    Schagerl - James Morrison
    Schlub - Dingo Trumpet (The Wildest)
    Jaeger Diamond
    Olds - Clark Terry Flugel
    Olds - Recording Trumpet
    Taylor Chicago 46 Magnum Max
    Martin Committee & a few others

Pianissimo User

Getting a private teacher is hopefully in the near future. Coming from a family of six living off one source of income theres not much money for anything extra. Being only 15 its hard to get a job but I'm searching. I have a friend who can hook me up in about 6 months and then I can get some private lessons and work towards a nice trumpet. As for listening to jazz and stuff, I'm listening to Vizzutti right now

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by A.N.A. Mendez View Post
    Clean your horn, put in new felts, corks, valve springs, clean your case in and out, get a new mouthpiece, new book to work on. Shake it up, get a lesson, go try some new horns for fun. Play something you know well as good and as beautifully as you can, record it, listen to it. Play it for your mom. Have fun!
    Although A.N.A. Mendez has no clue as to what makes Jennifer Aniston beautiful, he does make a great suggestion here. Try it, and let us know how it worked!
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information