I gave this advice to a guy wanting one of my trumpets for jazz, he is a true beginner. I gave this advice
Fom students to future student, let me give you some advice:
1. Your going to suck. Hard . Its gona sound like a dying duck s&#ting a boat for the first few days. Every one does. Its only natural. Especially a true beginner. Go to tempo, and buy a book, its gona be like essential elements or somthing like that with a play along DVD for 10 bucks. Your gona feel dumb playing Mary had a little lamb, but you gotta start small.
2. Lean all the counting. Jazz is straight subdivision of notes, and that is all counting. I know it sound like nonsence, but its essential. Jazz has a different subdivision from "straight" playing, and you will need to know both. Its hard at first, but it comes. Slowly.
3. Join trumpetmaster or trumpet herald . Com. Its full of experts that can help in every way.
4. Be confident, and never get frustrated. Practice an hour a day, and do not let it piss you off or defeat you. You have to just keep on, no matter how bad it may be.
5. Just love playing. Its simple, but people forget
Well, I hope I helped this guy out. And I wish him well on all the future playing he will do.