Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree21Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss I got my first horn! in the General forums; Well, it finally happened! For those who have been following my posts, I have been looking for a trumpet. Well, ...
    Pianissimo User

Talking I got my first horn!

Well, it finally happened! For those who have been following my posts, I have been looking for a trumpet. Well, recently a member on here (I will credit you in a little bit when I can go back and look your name up) found one on my local Craigslist. It actually didn't seem like a deal at first but my parents contacted the seller and got it for me and kept it a secret so I'd have a cool surprise for Christmas! Check it out:

It's in near mint condition. It's a Kanstul Besson 609 and it came with a Bach 7C mouthpiece. I actually managed to get sound from it pretty quickly although stable sound is a bit of an issue (though it's coming along). I actually made a video of me playing "Hot Cross Buns":

Don't mind my little celebration, I'd been having issues getting the notes to stabilize unlike earlier and I didn't think I'd manage to play it all the way through the first time playing it! I posted that on Facebook earlier just for fun. After messing with the trumpet for maybe half an hour I could keep a few notes stable and thought to myself, "hey, the first three steps is a simple song, why not try to play it?" I'm not sure if I was more excited, or if my family was more bewildered by the excitement! Other than that I've been trying to play up the C scale; I can get up to G. Also having issues with hitting notes, as in I'll play no fingers and it'll either be really low, or really high, not the C it should be. So I'm still trying to figure out how that works, and essentially playing different notes with same fingerings. Of course it's day one, and it's just me having fun. Plus I'm just rambling right now about my day!

Anyways, I'll leave it here for now! I'll be taking the mouthpiece around with me a lot and practicing the buzzing, and am researching teachers and books. The trumpet came with two but they were school band sort of books. I unfortunately have to leave for a bit this coming week so most of my practice will just be mouthpiece based, so I'll be trying to memorize fingerings and learning more about mouthpiece buzzing but I would love to hear any advice you guys and gals have about learning! Thanks again! I'll leave you with me and the trumpet:

Re: I got my first horn!

Don't ever lose that excitement and enthusiasm, and you'll find success at whatever it is. Congrats, and enjoy !
    tobylou8, barliman2001 and neal085 like this.
    ~'77 DEG Dynasty II Soprano Bugle in G
    '13 Chinese POS "Hawk" branded Flugel from Amazon
    '59 Olds Ambassador Cornet
    '51 Olds Super
    '69 Olds Studio
    '40 Olds Special Cornet, Military Issued

Pianissimo User

Quote Originally Posted by Pinstriper View Post
    Don't ever lose that excitement and enthusiasm, and you'll find success at whatever it is. Congrats, and enjoy !
    Thanks Pinstriper! Should be a fun journey! I figure I should learn how to clean it and grease/oil it. Crazy thing, I didn't even experiment with the slides and such, so I'll need to give it a go! More to try tomorrow it seems! Too caught up in the moment :)

Forte User
    Near Portland, OR.

ENJOY! Use it a lot, use it well, make music...

Selmer Radial, Bb.
    Yamaha YTR4420E, C.
    1930 Couesnon cornet

A mind that masters the breath
    Creates strength (Lao-Tzu).

Pianissimo User
    On my way to Bearberry Ab

That's just AWESOME!!! and a great first attempt at a song....

You've identified a few of your own concerns about some issues so when you get back to playing the horn again, use some of your practice time to identify the notes and fingerings from the fingering chart so you can play some longer steadier tones from the ''C'' on the line below the staff to the second line ''G'' in the staff.

Start with the regular C scale notes and then do the chromatic scale notes.... That's just a part of it- expand it from there.... others can add or critique this if they want.....
    Conn Constellation 1963
    Olds Special Nickel plate w/ 1st valve trigger 1974
    Olds Special 1948
    Olds Ambassador 1978
    Olds Ambassador 1953
    Olds Studio 1955

Utimate User
    Jackson NC

IMO THE K-B 609 is an upper end student horn (I also have one). It was made by Kanstul for the American market under contract to Boosey-Hawkes when they owned the Besson Brand. Unlike most other trumpets, the serial number is on the underside of the bell forward of the 3rd valve. I can suggest you not discard those "band books" as they are basic learning instruction. Yes, by all means get yourself a cleaning kit, as includes a "snake" tubing brush and a mouthpiece brush. Also valve oil and slide grease. Dawn dish soap in water is adequate. DO NOT IMMERSE THE VALVES! ENJOY and keep your elation and enthusiasm.
    bumblebee and robrtx like this.

Forte User
    Fort Wayne, IN

Congratulations, Zack! Many of us find ways to practice a little when we travel, too. You may enjoy google-ing up trumpet practice mutes when you have time...

Getzen 900 Eterna Classic, Leblanc 707 Sonic (Metzler Brass restoration)
    Bach Model 180SL229W30 Stradivarius C Trumpet
    Holton Collegiate Bb Cornet (heirloom)
    Blessing Artist Bb Flugelhorn

Forte User

Oh, hot cross buns was my first song, and not only on the trumpet. It's great to have another trumpeter with a good horn!
    Bach CR300 cornet
    Getzen 700 Eterna
    Getzen 390 (stay-at-school horn)
    Blessing "C"
    Yamaha 731 flugelhorn
    Buescher Custom Built model 264 Aristocrat cornet

The Kanstul 609 is a great horn. It will not limit you. WHile I am sure the folks at Kanstul would disagree, I often wonder if Kanstul had the Olds Ambassador in the back of his mind when he designed it. At any rate, you lucked out geting it (I've been searching for a deal on one ffor a number of years). Be sure to thank your parents. That was a nice suprise.
    Olds Supers, LA (1953), Ful. (1962)
    Olds Recording, LA (1952)
    Olds Studio, LA (1953)
    Olds Special, Ful. (1964)
    Olds Ambassador, LA (1954)
    Olds Ambassador, Ful. (1973)
    Bach Strads 37-(1967, 1970, 1974, 1982)
    Bach Strad 72 MLV (1973), 72* (1982)
    Kanstul 1500 (2002), 1502 (2008), 1503 (2002)
    Kanstul 1537 (2007)
    Kanstul Chicago (2000)
    Kanstul 1510 C
    King Liberty (1929,1929)
    King Liberty 2 (1938, 1944)
    King Liberty 2b (1950)
    J.H. Darby 45 USA
    Holton (Revelation) 1924
    Kanstul 1525 Flugelhorn

Piano User

Congrats. What a great Christmas gift. Now the search for an instructor,mouthpiece safari and valve oil/slide grease search starts.

Welcome to the trumpet world.

Conn Director 17A cornet 1963
    Bach CR 300 1978
    Denis Wick 2BW cornet mp
    Fischer 2 cornet mp
    Denis Wick 3 B cornet mp
    neal085 likes this.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information