Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree1Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss i just did a big self cleaning job and all i can say is WOW in the General forums; Originally Posted by jason_boddie Hey, I am curious to know what brand of silver polish you guys use. I highly ...
    Indianapolis, Indiana

Re: i just did a big self cleaning job and all i can say is WOW

Quote Originally Posted by jason_boddie View Post

I am curious to know what brand of silver polish you guys use.

I highly recommend Hagerty Silversmiths' Polish. It contains R-22 Tarnish Preventative.

You can get it in liquid form (somewhat messy) or spray-on. They also have polishing gloves which are exellent.

Check out their website:
    Indianapolis, Indiana

"It is not necessary to understand music;
    it is only necessary that one enjoy it"
    Leopold Stanislaw Stokowski

The Wide Brown Land

Here in Oz, Goddard's Silver Foam works really well on badly tarnished horns - you wet the sponge included in the little container, wipe that wetted sponge across the cleaning paste and then "agitate" the now 'contaminated' sponge over your trumpet. Gently agitating the sponge over the silverware will cause the 'solution' to foam up and will certainly clean your instrument beautifully - HOWEVER - I have it on good authority (a commercial silversmith/jeweler mate) that any such substance (polish/cleaner) WILL REMOVE SILVER as well as verdigris.

I had a tuba mouthpiece silverplated some years ago and the plating service told me that silver cloths (the blue ones) are the best way to clean your silverplated horn without removing metal - all it does is to remove the contaminant. I have successfully used the salt water solution on an old tenor horn and it too creates no permanent damage to the instrument - but I now keep it clean with the blue cloth

Your choice - I now only ever use a blue cloth because my trumpets aren't allowed to get grubby enough to need anything else.

Harrelson Bravura
    Getzen Eterna Classic 900
    Getzen Eterna II 700S
    Boosey & Hawkes Regent MkII
    Weril EP4071 Pocket
    Boosey & Hawkes Eb Tenor Horn

E.Panhandle WV

Quote Originally Posted by Bachstul View Post
    There is a lot of bacteria by the bathtub drain. There is also cleanser and chlorine residue existing if you wash your bath tub first before cleaning your trumpet.
    I became tired of this, as my back grew sore all the time from kneeling and leaning over the tub.
    I found a five dollar clear plastic storage bin that is the right size and fill it on the counter by the kitchen sink. It's a dedicated tub. When dry I store all my horn maintenance gear in it that no longer clutters my case.
    I'm thinking I might bore a hole in in and fit a stopper/plug to drain the water into the sink a little easier. It's awkward pouring it out from the top.

Having a 'bad ' back I can appreciate the discomfort of that small well as the lack of ease in emptying a less than completely rigid tub.
    I also use the tub idea..stole the infant bathtub from my grand daughter when the baby outgrew it. My solution for emptying it was a short (2 1/2' ) length of near hose size clear flexible tubing I purchased from from Lowes,and filling it from the tap into the tub until its at least 2/3 filled, then, leaving the other end in the tub ... drop the filling end below tub level and into the sink. In short, it then self siphons until functionally empty.
    Hope this is understandably written as to be of use.
    Last edited by joe1joey; 10-02-2014 at 06:44 PM. Reason: I couldn't follow my own writing.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information