Trumpet Discussion Discuss I just don't get it... in the General forums; *removed by user*...
    New Friend

I just don't get it...

*removed by user*
    Last edited by katrin4p; 09-06-2008 at 06:25 AM. Reason: English confusion...

Casper, WY

Re: I just don't get it...

Ana, it happens. The very same thing to many but maybe on a different level. Give it time. Keep at it! I'm 2 years into my comeback to the horn, and things are much better, and there is a FAR way yet to go.

Play duets. Make some music with some friends.

Mezzo Piano User

Quote Originally Posted by katrin4p View Post
    EDIT: Okay, that thing about the valves...? Well, forget it. I mean, this thing of trying to say things in english when I only know them in portuguese is complicated. The "valves" I said are those things you can get out of the trumpet to tune it. You know, you need to oil them...? Hey, look, I just checked a translator and it says VALVES -_- I really don't kow what to think anymore then...
    I think the word your looking for is slide or tuning slide.

we have all been there, where pressure or an uninspiring attitude takes away the joy of playing or leads to a bad day! In the security of our own home, we can relax and everything is OK again.

As teachers are also human, you need to determine if your trumpet teacher just had a bad day, or if future lessons will remain "non-productive". When you are learning to play, a combination of inspiration AND pressure is what makes you try harder. A teacher that does not apply both (in the proper proportions!), will not get good results.

I suggest you have a meeting with the teacher and your parents to find out what to expect in the future. THAT will determine the need to work harder or find a new teacher.

The VALVES are the 3 buttons that you push down to play different notes. To tune (or clean) the trumpet, you pull on the SLIDES.

If the band horn is SO BAD, you need to solve that problem. If it is just cleaning and oiling, I am sure you can find somebody to help you. I give my students classes in taking the trumpet apart and cleaning it. Maybe you can arrange for the same? If it is just a miserable instrument, you need to find a way to start using your personal one more.

Making music should be FUN.
    Good Luck!
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Pianissimo User
    Des Moines, IA

Use your own trumpet. You will just have to get used to carrying it to your rehearsal. Just be happy you don't play a larger instrument.

Pianissimo User

Yes, I would use your own horn if at all possible. Don't worry about the language, we will figure it out.

Quebec City, QC, Canada

If the teacher's an ass, ditch the ass :)
    NYTC Stage 1 California Light - Wedge 3C cup w/ Warburton 7 backbore mpc
    Bach Stradivarius Bb Model 37 * #124xxx (circa 1975) - Schilke 15B mpc
    Yamaha YFH-731 Flugelhorn #000xxx - Yamaha 14F4-GP mpc
    Conn Connquest 20A Cornet 1954

Thread Information