Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss I just recorded myself. YUCCH in the General forums; Originally Posted by Blind Bruce I set up the recording on my computer to see if I could tell the ...
    Fortissimo User
    Yorba Linda, CA

Re: I just recorded myself. YUCCH

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Bruce View Post
    I set up the recording on my computer to see if I could tell the difference in tone of my two horns. I was very disappointed in my "performance".
    When I practice, I know I make mistakes but I hear FAR more errors when listening to the recording. I don't know my instructor can stand it
    I may be too early in my attempts at recording but I am really surprised.
    I must applaud you for having the courage to even try this. I somehow think that recording my playing would be about as painful as me recording my own singing or, worse yet, taking a video of me trying to do figure skating. For now, I prefer to live in the blissful fantasy world that my trumpet playing is not causing pain to others and that it is actually improving to the point that someday I will be let out of woodshed (the one lined with carpet). Making a recording a listening to it would ruin that fantasy.
    Come-Back Kid
    - - - - - - - - -
    Selmer Invicta London ('56)
    Olds Recording ('58, '59, '60)
    Olds Super ('51, '63, '66, '67, '68, '69)
    Olds Standard ('46)
    Olds SuperStar ('71, '72)
    Olds Studio ('55, '59, '70)
    Olds Special ('51, '56, '58, '60, '62,'68,'73)
    Olds Ambassador (a few: '49-'79)
    Olds Flugelhorn ('70)
    (+Eastman, Besson 609 , Conn Director, King Cleveland, Holton Collegiate, Blessing Accord,
    Conn Severinsen, York, Yamaha, Getzen, Amati, Revelle, Bundy, Alcazar)

New Friend

Can you upload the recording here? I would like to listen

New Friend
    New York

Well unfortunately the recorder doesn't lie. It's very important to record yourself and listen to what you actually sound like not just what you hear from your end of the horn. On the other hand your recording equipment could not be the best, so you have to balance them out.

Mezzo Forte User

Its not the recorder as much as the sound reproduction that falters.

I have a simple Sony stereo IC recorder, model ICD-UX70, (the 70 for the price ?)

Dual is wonderful, sensitive, dangerous!!!!!!! Reveals everything.

Compatible MP3 with MAC, yes, MAC, and pc, (which stands for piece of cra..., never-mind)
    Easy to use, five folders, plenty of memory..... there is one that holds more memory for more money.

I can play through my spare 120 watt rms per chan. stereo, and it's music!

I placed it on an arm rest on an empty chair rest in a school auditorium for one of my son's concerts. It does a wonderful job. It picks up everything, in stereo!!
    I always use it at rehearsals; then at home, later, with headphones, I can practice my trumpet to the rehearsal.
    My band director has later used my recordings for reference where he left off.... great tip for you brown nosers out there!!!
    Last edited by Bachstul; 07-16-2009 at 12:37 AM.

New Friend

If you are using a "desk mic" that has a condesor capsule in it, it is quite possible that you overloaded the dB level of the mic. Most of those mics are meant for voice uses.

I have been recording seriously for a number of years and the cost of the equipment to get good sound is coming down to where mortal man can affort it.

I would recomment looking at the following pieces of gear to see if you can get the results you want at a modest price point:

I use the Zoom H4n quite often in the field to get a recording when I am not in my studio. Samson - Zoom - H4n This is a basic 4 track in your pocket.

This device will record at better than CD Quality (96K 24 bit - for us gear heads) in wav formats and also will record in mp3 formats. It has the ability to add XLR microphones to the back of the unit if you have studio microphones at your location. You can get it for around $350 street price.

If that is too rich for your pockets right now, consider its baby brother the H2: Samson - Zoom - H2 This unit can be had for around $170 street price. Not as many High end features and a smaller display screen, but still very good audio quality. I actually have both, but use the H2 to give to my students to record themselves from time to time.

Alot depends on where you place the mics as to what sound you are going to record. I would start by setting the unit about 6 feet away from you and point the mics 10 degrees off axis from your bell. You can move that around to choose how much "room sound" is picked up.

Both units record on SD cards and a 4 gig card will go for several hours at CD quality. It allows you to take the device into rehersals and on location without being tied to a computer. They both run on 2 AA battires for anywhere between 4 and 8 hours depending on settings.

I hope you find this useful.

New Friend

I recommed you Audacity is free !!

Audacity: Free Audio Editor and Recorder

Pianissimo User

The Zoom H2 is a great hand held option.

Greensboro, NC

Rowuk makes some excellent points. When recording or playing for an audience we tend to perform rather than practice. ie. we're too careful. Like rowuk one of the things I try to teach my students is to play with abandon. To go for it. When I was a young whipper snapper, my middle/high school band director would say "if you make a mistake, make it a loud one". In otherwords don't hold back. When practicing if you're not making mistakes you're not improving. ie. don't be afriad to go for it!
    Bob Grier, An Old Pro
    Web Cam trumpet & jazz improvisation lessons

Monroe Ct.

I record myself all the time. I think it's a huge help. After a while you can hear yourself behind the bell just like you do on the playback.

I agree about letting yourself go in a performance. As I'm plying (performing) I sometimes think about how much I want to let go. No guts, no glory.

I think the idea is to practice and record and listen and correct so you can let yourself go in a performance.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information