Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss I just started free buzzing on the mouthpiece in the General forums; I am sure this does wonders for many players. I am not one of them . I hold the belief ...
    Charlotte NC

Re: I just started free buzzing on the mouthpiece

I am sure this does wonders for many players. I am not one of them . I hold the belief that we all have different mental approaches to the same end. When it works we are all doing the same thing physically. I find it hard to beleive that two equally successful players get the same results working the horn in different ways. There are great players that will tell you to never buzz. I don't agree with that either. I say if buzzing works for you go ahead and do it. How our minds tell our bodies to do what is needed is arrived at in different ways for different people. All of this is my novice opinion. You know what they say about those.
    I am not completely head over heels in love with any one method. I take what seems to work for me and leave the rest for others to fuss about.
    Marcinkiewicz CG 470 Bach 3C
    Buzz City Brass
    StarDusters Big Band

Buzzing is not the cure or destruction of anything. If we have our brains turned on when playing, there is almost nothing that is a problem. Buzzing only gives us the possiblilty to pay attention to other things happening with the body. The benefits have NOTHING to do with the lips.

Whenever I read " I just started xxxxxxxx - now everything is better", I really lose faith in the average persons ability to stay objective. This claim is almost the same as saying "I quit smoking yesterday and already can run a mile more.

The human body and mind does not work like that. Instant success stories are instant lies as far as I am concerned. I feel sorry for that type of gullibility.

Back to buzzing: If it works great, if not, fine too - as long as your audience is happy.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Randolph, New Jersey

I studied with Thompson and he's more interested in the interaction of the lips with the mouthpiece which is why the "method" stresses buzzing the pattern and then playing the pattern. My present teacher (in NYC) is an advocate of free buzzing and tone bending. To that end, I use my commutation time in the car to "free buzz" and mouthpiece buzz the Thompson exercises. As I have about a 40 minute drive, I get to around track #32. I cannot tell you what kind of improvement that has made in my playing.

It is certainly true that too much free buzzing does result in "tightness" as described elsewhere in this thread. However, the key element is balance and to do only what is comfortable.
    tobylou8 likes this.
    1940 Martin Handcraft Cornet
    1946 Martin Committee Trumpet
    1947 Martin Committee Cornet
    Early 70's Yamaha Flugel s/n 000xxx
    Selmer Piccolo (a side ONLY)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information