Trumpet Discussion Discuss I need a teacher....... in the General forums; New York, central Long Island, preferrably. Adult beginner, former music student, but no brass experience. Leads appreciated. Thank you, Gregc...

I need a teacher.......

New York, central Long Island, preferrably. Adult beginner, former music student, but no brass experience. Leads appreciated.
    Thank you,
    Gregc

Pianissimo User
    Listen, I hate to sound mean or harsh but did you try your local friends or the telephone book or even your local music store could recomend a teacher for you.

Jerry Callet. Last I knew, he was in what? Staten Island?

That might be a great place to start. I guess it all depends on what you want to learn.
    Patrick Gleason

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
    "At my signal, unleash hell."
    - Maximus Decimus Meridius

I must have e-mailed and phoned a dozen teachers in the last two weeks. Still, nothing definate. A few possibilities exist. Some never returned repeated calls, too busy maybe? Some guys wouldn't handle beginners, or had no room in the schedule, understandable. One guy agreed to teach me, and then sent me an e-mail recommending I play the alto sax instead. WTF?
    I'll keep on looking...thanks.

gregc

Seriously, give Jerry Callet a call. He may be a bit pricey, but when it comes to embouchure stuff, I know people that swear by him and his methods.

Again, it all depends on what you want.

You know, for now you might think about just getting some of the basics such as the Clarke Technical studies, some Herring etudes and an Arbans book and start working out of those on your own. Do that and really listen to what is coming out of your bell and make the adjustments, and that will take you a long way.
    Patrick Gleason

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
    "At my signal, unleash hell."
    - Maximus Decimus Meridius

Thanks for the help. The great trombone player and 'artist at residence' at my local university, 'Rusty Anderson' has hooked me up with someone, locally. We're getting together on Monday. I'm hoping it works out. Going to see Callet would likely be a 1.5+ hour drive each way. I'm out on eastern long island.
    gregc

Thread Information