Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss I need a valve job in the General forums; In addition to all of the above, having some 'tech' do a valve rebuild strictly because his price is lower ...
    Forte User
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

Re: I need a valve job

In addition to all of the above, having some 'tech' do a valve rebuild strictly because his price is lower than that of Andersons is very foolish. I did this, to my great regret. I shipped my fathers gorgeous York Master Model trumpet from Grand Rapids, Mi. to Tallahassee, Fl., where the self proclaimed 'expert' offered a 2 week turn arround time for a complete valve rebuild. More than 2 MONTHS later and after several telephone calls to get information about the delays,all answered with very fanciful stories about the why of my trumpet not yet having been shipped,and a sound verbal harangue from his wife about "crowding him', my trumpet finally arrived. At first, I was thrilled. In about two weeks of regular practice on this horn, cleaning the valve pistons and casings daily with surgical gauze and relubing with Hetmans #1 valve oil I detected a pronounced amount of scraping when the valves were actuated. Upon close scrutiny I discovered that the pistons were starting to show the copper underplate and that the nickel silver plating on the pistons could be scraped off with a very light fingernail scrape.

Now, what to do? I know better than to send it back to Tallahassee, Fl. for a redo. Sending it to Andersons, Kanstul, of Osmuns will cost over $300.00. The horn now sits in its case in my storage room, probably never to be put into active use again.

The moral of my unhappy story; use only established technicians of extremely high repute. Don't just get cheap with your spending on one of your most prized possessions, like I did.

Last edited by oldlou; 12-21-2008 at 10:59 AM.
    Couturier trumpet
    York Wizard by Couturier cornet
    York Master Model trumpet
    York Elite trumpet
    York Airflow cornet
    Conn Concert Grand Cornet
    King Liberty trumpet
    Reynolds Professional cornet
    Bohm & Meinl professional trumpet
    Conn New World Symphony trumpet
    Olds Special cornet Los Angeles
    B&H Sovereign cornet
    G.R.Band Instr. cornet
    Getzen Super Deluxe trumpet and cornet
    Getzen Deluxe trumpet and cornet
    Many others no room to list

I second Dr. Valve if you want the very best job available. It is true that Anderson does his plating, but he does all the prep and fitting which involves skilled used of the same kind of Sunnen pricision honing machine that Schilke uses to fit new valves.

Anderson doesn't do the extras, like shielding the ports to avoid plating the bore (reducing the bore size) through the valves.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonasa View Post
    So am I...but, with all due respect, I believe you missed the point: many of the best restoration shops that provide valve rebuilding services rely on Anderson Silver Plating to do all their plating. The metal plating services required for rebuilding valves requires a huge investment in specialized equipment, personnel, and materials; the chemicals used are caustic and highly regulated by the EPA and state and local environmental protection agencies. I don't know of any musical instrument valve replating shop within 500 miles of where I live. Metal plating for musical instruments is simply not something that a local brass tech is going to be able to afford to do. It's a specialized task that can only be done profitably if there is sufficient volume to offset the investment in equipment, skilled labor, and material (which is why, I suspect, instrument-valve plating is only one division of Anderson, which also does plating for the aerospace and other high-tech industries); in short, it is a service ideally suited for outsourcing, which is why many of the very best restoration shops gladly outsource this critical function to Anderson. Are they being "internet cheapskates" for doing so? Hardly: they, too, are building a relationship with a service provider they trust to do good work. Those sorts of relationships have nothing to do with whether one is thousands of miles away or right around the corner. And the internet is simply a medium that can be used for marketing; it has made it easier for buyers to procure specialized services unavailable to them locally.

In fact, Anderson comes recommended to me by my local tech, the very same "partner" who has handled hundreds of dollars worth of routine dent work and slide-freeing and cleaning work and has been there whenever I need him to replace a spit valve cork in an emergency or handle anything else within his skills. This same tech even supplied the name of his point of contact at Anderson.

My point was simply this: if you're going to ship your horn thousands of miles for a valve plating job, why not ship it directly to the best source of precisely this service? I just don't see the value in shipping your horn to another shop so that it can be re-packed and shipped to Anderson for the work you're seeking.
    The original post was about getting the Conn fixed up or not. I still vote for a decent local tech. I understand why someone would send a horn to Andersons. My take is still working with the decent local guy and building a relationship above and beyond the task at hand. I am sure that there is usually more to do than replate the valves.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Indianapolis, Indiana

I highly recommend Dr. Valve in LaGrange (Chicago area) Illinois. He has done both of my Bachs and they are like new horns.

Doctor Valve, Trumpet Repair and Restoration
    Indianapolis, Indiana

"It is not necessary to understand music;
    it is only necessary that one enjoy it"
    Leopold Stanislaw Stokowski

Greensboro, NC

there is more to rebuilding valves than just replating them. the valve casings have to be rehoned and the rebuilt valve lapped to fit the casings. yes Anderson does all the plating for the industry but I would never let them do the prep work or refitting the valves. I sent them a mpc to replate one time and they buffed the rim so that it was unplayable. Completely changed the shape of the rim. send to a reputable pro shop for valve rebuilds. find a good local shop for all the rest. you'll be glad you did. remember this is a musical instrument not just a piece of machinery. let a music tech handle this for you.
    Bob Grier, An Old Pro
    Web Cam trumpet & jazz improvisation lessons

Chicago northern suburbs

I just had Steve Winans who IS Dr. Valve work on three of my most prized horns: my NYTC Stage 1 California Light Bb, My Stage 1 GS Cornet and my Chicago Brassworks (SN 4!!!!) model GSC. In EACH case, I swear these horns are at LEAST as good as new if not better! Steve is no middleman! He is an EXPERT on working on trumpets - one of the best. He also PLAYS (he's quite good) so when he tests things out, he really TESTS them!

I can't recommend Dr. Valve for horn work - ANY horn work - highly enough.

FWIIW worth coming from me!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information