Trumpet Discussion Discuss I think I screwed up my embouchure in the General forums; About 3 months ago my teacher said I was doing something called double buzzing. I sounded horrible so I tried ...
    New Friend

I think I screwed up my embouchure

About 3 months ago my teacher said I was doing something called double buzzing. I sounded horrible so I tried to fix it myself by changing my embouchure. Now when I play theres no double buzz but my tone is really airy and I'm pretty much always flat(even with my tuning slide in all the way) I can't remember what my embouchure was before, but if I try to make my aperture smaller(its larger than before) I double buzz.

I know that no one will be able to fix this over the internet, but it would be nice if someone could explain to me what a double buzz is so maybe I can get it to go away with my previous embouchure.

Pianissimo User

Re: I think I screwed up my embouchure

Well first i would talk to your teacher (if you are still taking lessons) and tell him about how your embouchure became this way. If not, some people on here might have great advice for you.

what you have is easily fixable, even over the internet, but will require some discipline!

Forget about embouchure and aperature - that knowledge is absolutely useless because there is much more happening than we can intellectualize!

Start by imagining a big circle. The left side is inhale and right side exhale. at the top and bottom of the circle is an infinitely small transition between those 2 states.

Stand up straight, and breath that circle for a couple of minutes, relaxed in and exhale. Then take your horn and replace exhale with play - still relaxed - small transition. What note you play is insignificant, it just needs to be relaxed and of medium low loudness. Play long tones for about 10 minutes. You can play various tones - just nothing above C in the staff!

By now you should have a clean and clear long tone. Repeat this exercize after a 10 minute break, take another break then do it again. Put the horn away, take a hot bath and treat yourself to something special like a glass of wine and some cheese (a special fruit juice that you do not ordinarily drink also qualifies as something special too!
    Do only this exercize for a week - NOTHING else!

Week 2: add some basic slurs (8ths c,e,c,e,c,g,c,e,c,e,c,e,c,g,c,e,quarters:c,g,low c-hold out until you need a breath) do the slurs with all of the finger combinations 0, 2, 1, 12, 23, 13, 123. Because the slurs take time repeat everything only twice. Try and play more softly than the first week!

Week 3: Grab a hymn book (or fake book) and add 15 minutes of basic tunes to the routine. By now, your low register should be strong, breathing and face very RELAXED while playing AND the double buzz gone. Now you need to make sure that you do not revert to old habits. Add more advanced slurs but do not play louder than mezzo forte.

Week 4: try and stretch this relaxed style of playing into some piano high notes - NO FORCE

Keep building, but keep your practice sessions at pianissimo to piano. After 4 weeks, you can start with whatever ensembles that you have again, but the rule is NO FORCE. The double buzz generally occurs when one beats their face into submission. The lucky player with a good daily routine has the tools to get back on track, the rest get lost in the shuffle. Long tones and easy slurs, very relaxed are the most successful road back that I know. They have NEVER failed when applied consequently!!!!!
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Greensboro, NC

a double buzz is when your bottom lip vibrates out of sink with your top lip. Why? Don't know. when does it happen? All the time or just in specific registers?

Bob G

Thread Information