Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss I tried a total of 12 trumpets today, decided to purchase... in the General forums; Bach 180S37 Silver Plated Stradivarius Bb Trumpet. I get it in 3 weeks and can't wait to play!...
    Pianissimo User

I tried a total of 12 trumpets today, decided to purchase...

Bach 180S37 Silver Plated Stradivarius Bb Trumpet.

I get it in 3 weeks and can't wait to play!

What's with the 3 weeks? Didn't you play the one you are buying?

Greg
    Stop acting like someone shot your dog.

Pianissimo User
    I didn't want to purchase the display model, so they ordered a new one for me.

I don't want to hurt your feelings or anything, but I doubt if the one that you end up getting plays like the display model. Every single horn, even if it's the same model, plays differently.

When I bought my current Bach Strad, I played about 20 horns, give or take a few, and I played 3 different Large Bore Strads that were the same model with the same bell. The one that I currently own played head and shoulders above the other two. It's not like buying a car where one will be just like another.

I also have a LB Bach Strad, 25 bell issued to me by the National Guard band that I play with. It sits in the case. It's a dog compared to mine.
    Patrick Gleason

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
    "At my signal, unleash hell."
    - Maximus Decimus Meridius

Spawn,

Hmmm...I'm no expert on Bachs, but I have heard from MANY players that
    buying a new Bach without playing it is not a good idea. Did you play a bunch of horns back-to-back? Did you notice that some played better than others?

Don't take my word for it, ask some of the diehard Bach guys around here and you will hear about the risks of buying a new Bach sight unseen.

Greg

PS - After saving to buy a new Strad for years, I learned of the Bach "quality issue" about a year ago. After a lot of research I bought a new Zeus Guarnerius a year ago for $975. It plays like a very good Bach 180/37, sounds like it, shines like it, but since it was built by Kanstul I believe its a much better value.

Pianissimo User
    gzent,
    I tried a number of horns. There were differences in the air resistance, valve action, and even overall weight. Sure there were differences in style/appearance, however, I had my eyes closed and my wife gave me the various trumpets to try. I played the same piece on each horn, and did some scales as well. My reason for chosing the horn I did, was, well... it just felt right.

Exactly! THAT Strad felt the best, not the one you ordered.

Greg

Pianissimo User
    When the new one arrives, I'll play it. If it doesn't feel right, no problem. I'll get a refund. I spoke to the manager and he had no problem with that.

Pianissimo User
    I love Bach Strads I own 2 Bb's and a C. I love the way the play but all of them were test played first. When I got my new Bb last year I played several and had my prof play them as well ended up with the one that I had picked in the first place. They were all "good" horns and played fine but the one I ended up with just seemed to have an edge over the other ones. Maybe not for everyone but for me. I would just forget about the one you ardered take the display horn and let them use the new one as their display. No matter what anyone tells you every horn on this planet is slightly different and all have little quirks so you should never buy a horn that you have not played on.

Pianissimo User
    Thanks for the advice. I'll take my chances that the display model will still be there in 3 weeks. Then I'll test store model versus new horn. Whatever feels right is the one I'll get. Hopefully, I'll remember to post here what the results were in three weeks. :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information