Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss I want to get Better... in the General forums; Hi... I had my trumpet class today, and it lasted 5 minutes... and it's not the 1st time, i have ...

I want to get Better...

Hi...

I had my trumpet class today, and it lasted 5 minutes... and it's not the 1st time, i have been going to classes for 3 months and if you put all the "actual instruction" time together so far it won't be an hour, not to mention "oh i forgot to tell you"s

and its not me being unprepared, its my instructor, being late, doing paper work during the class and sometimes not even showing up, etc....

I am a very diciplined person, specially when it comes to music, i am hard working and absolutely in love with what i do(see introduction section).but i feel like i'm not going to learn the Trumpet if i dont do something about this situation.

as you can see on the left i live in Iran, not a whole lot of trumpet players here, and changing the teacher is not an option for me, so please if you teach trumpet & can tell me what i can do as a beginner to get better in trumpet (methods, exercises etc...) i would really appreciate it,

All the best.
    Reza.
    Last edited by Rezamozaffarinia; 07-14-2008 at 02:56 PM.

MJ
    Administrator Fortissimo User MJ's Avatar

Re: I want to get Better...

I suggest you just do a bunch of reading around here Rezza. If you have specific questions you shoulod post them.

Reza,
    many times the teacher needs to be motivated just like the student. It happens to all of us. It probably would be to your advantage to have a serious talk with the instructor, and if nothing else, try to find another time for the lesson where he can be more attentive.

Getting good at the trumpet is primarily paying attention to the basics (breathing, long tones and slurs) and then adding the stuff to advance like tonguing and fingering exercizes.

In the beginning, an Arban book, Irons Lip flexibilities and Clarke Technical Studies get you going. Once you are moving along, there is a TON of good literature out there
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Since you are new at trumpet playing I will suggest a book.
    Here we go again:
    David Hickman, Trumpet Pedagogy.

Trumpet Pedagogy

Read the link above. Then go to this link to order.
    It is near the bottom and the picture may not show. Watch for the title.

Hickman Music Editions: Search Results

Shipping is going to be expensive. But get the book. Use a credit card to order.

Let us know if you can't order it because of political reasons. We can find an intermediary.
    Somebody in France or Russia may be able to order it for you.
    "I was performing professionally at age 17 and have never had a real job." Allen Vizzutti

http://cdbaby.com/cd/mcking

Hey there my trumpet Brotha.....

I think you should get Mr. Michael Sachs' Daily Fundamentals for Trumpet. Practice it every day and it will teach you to play the trumpet REALLY well. That's how you learn to play like the Maestro. Also, ask Andy Mac lots of questions. He know most everything.....

Oh, and Rowuk knows EVERYTHING, so he'll help you a lot!

Love,
    Huggy
    Laid back....with my mind on my money and my money on my mind.....Tight! And where's my BLING, my Peeps?

If you have/can get the equipment, you should try online lessons with Nick Drozdoff, Adam Rapa or Trent Austin. They can set you straight
    Selmer 80J in Matte
    Monette STC-1 Prana B4 S3

Quote Originally Posted by hubnub View Post
    If you have/can get the equipment, you should try online lessons with Nick Drozdoff, Adam Rapa or Trent Austin. They can set you straight

Awesome idea! Trent Austin is THE MAN!!!!! If you've seen his youtube clip that's all you need to know. The brotha' can DO IT ALL!!!!! I'm sure these other guys are also the best ever, but Trent is in a class by himself....Fo' Shizzle!

Love,
    Huggy

p.s. Skype is free, and I can probably get a line on a camera for "a REASONABLE price!!!"
    Laid back....with my mind on my money and my money on my mind.....Tight! And where's my BLING, my Peeps?

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar

When teaching in Germany, I set up "overtime" slots in my schedule ("break time") for the time after my best students--I didn't get paid more, they didn't pay more, but we could accomplish more. On the other hand, I did read stuff when listening to a student fail to play the same simple exercise the third week in a row.

Are you absolutely sure that you have the stuff down for your lessons? Are you absolutely sure that you are playing in such a way that should grab the attention of a normal audience member?

If so, the problem may well lie with your teacher. Like rowuk said, it does happen, but if your playing is un-inspired, don't ever expect inspiration from someone else--it must come from us, as players.

For your next lesson, prepare like crazy and play your fanny off--if your teacher doesn't get excited; doesn't acknowledge your hard work, then you might want to consider another teacher. But please, please, make sure you aren't just boring him, otherwise you'll never find the "perfect" teacher!

Have fun, work hard, and good luck!
    Last edited by Vulgano Brother; 07-15-2008 at 11:55 AM.
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

Hi , if you are only playing about 3 months try Breeze Easy Book One for trumpet.

Piano User Bloomin Untidy Musician's Avatar

As well as trying the teachers above, try and get into as many bands (preferably good ones) as you can! Not only will this help develop your technique and stamina, but it will also teach you essential skills like sightreading and learning to play with other people. This is absolutely vital! If you get into a particularly good band, it will also give you players to aspire to. Do not get into the trap of just practising at home ALONE!

Cheers

B.U.Musician

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information