Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss I would like your input please! in the General forums; Yes, I do. that's why I don't understand. Is there an unusually long load time? I have cable and never ...
    Utimate User
    Yes, I do. that's why I don't understand. Is there an unusually long load time? I have cable and never have a problem with Windows media. I don't get the problem.

Ah, I'm going to bed.

Mezzo Forte User
    What do you mean by 'blank screen'? Is the Window's media player showing at all? If so, it might just be a really long load time.

The first couple of times I checked it to make sure it was working, it took about 5minutes to load.

I really hope that we can figure this out! I would appreciate your advice/words of wisdom!

Lara (who should probably be going to bed too...)

Rochester, MN

Very nice work and kudos for having the guts to show it off!

I think one of the most important things you can do to improve your
    playing is to use the proper physical mechanics. I will simply reinforce what Manny has said so many times - imagine you are being held up straight by a string going out the top of your head and your limbs are hanging relaxed.

Also, I think it helps to hold the horn straight out and steady.

You may 'feel' like moving to the music, but I think it interferes with being the best player you can be.

This advice greatly improved my playing in many ways, the most apparent was my endurance went way up. Anyway, let's hear what Manny has to say...

Again, well done,

Stop acting like someone shot your dog.

Metro Detroit

I must admit to being a bit impressed. When I was your age I don't think that I could have played that piece as well Bravo!

I have really nothing other to add then this, as gzent stated you may feel like moving to the music, and you did. Try to avoid this. I know that it's hard to do, believe me I start swinging (Bugle woogie bugle boy of Company B) or the like and I want to bob and weave, it drives me nuts!

I'm not intimately fimilliar with the piece but it seems to me that you also had a bit of a heavy tongue when you first started off and then got a bit more legato as you played. I would guess that the peice should be played on the legato side, if this is true just try to be mindful of that.

My nickname in school among the band geeks was hammer tongue for what it's worth. I still have to be careful not to pound out notes!

Your tone overall was nice and full; very rich sounding. A little darker then I would have expected but very nice. It was almost soothing to listen to, that will serve you well!

All I can say is keep after it. You are on your way!

I never did see a music stand in that clip, were you doing that from memory?

Best wishes,
    2008 Eclipse MHY Bb Trumpet in Silver Plate with interchangable leadpipes
    Getzen Capri Bb Cornet
    Bach, GR & Monette mouthpieces

Tempe, Arizona

Overall I really like your sound. You have a lot to work with here! I’m also very pleased to see that Silverstar is safe and sound. That story that I wrote was very real to me, and I almost feel like we’ve fast forwarded 6-7 years and you’re almost out of grad school with a restored instrument in your hands….

Anyway, in addition to the other comments that you’ve received, you really need to follow the musical line and sell each phrase. In the first phrase you want the line to grow in intensity and arrive on the downbeat of the third measure (the second space A) and then back away. When you get to the two fermattas you need to allow the music to breathe. Take your time here (don’t feel like you need to push forward to the next entrance right away). Don’t give up with carrying your sound through each musical thought (it simply needs more intensity).

You know, it’s easier to explain this with a recording, so here’s a very late night take of me playing this same Carnival Introduction. Please listen to it while reading your part and see if my interpretation gives you some ideas about where the music can go (this is my personal take, but it’s general enough to give you some more musical direction).

Derek’s Version of Carnival Introduction

I hope this helps!
    Derek Reaban
    Tempe, Arizona

Mezzo Forte User
    Dubai, UAE

Very good. it's all coming along nicely.

I'm going to go all old fashioned on you though and tell you that if you were my student and you lifted your fingers clean off the valves buttons like you're doing, I would have hit your knuckles with a ruler (where is the penguin when you need her?). Fleshy part of the fingers on top of the valves and DON'T lift them off. You won't be able to play the other movements of that piece with that action....

Just me take on it as an old f....rt.

New Friend

Re: I would like your input please!

Quote Originally Posted by silverstar
    I know I've posted this on TH and ibowtie already, but I would like to get some feedback from you guys too. (Plus, I want to show off what my Eclipse can do! lol.)

Here's a small clip (it may take a while to load) of me playing the intro to the "Carnival of Venice". I hope you enjoy it, and please leave me some comments/suggestions/feedback. Pardon the quality of the's from a camera microphone, so it's most likely not the best recording out there.

Thanks for putting up with my spam...sorry!
    Click here to watch My-attempt-at-the-Carnival-of-Venice

You sounded great. How long have you been playing?

New Southgate, London, UK
    Sounds good! I couldn't get to hear / see it all properly, it kept breaking up in download.

I would suggest adding a bit of "colour" to your sound with some "tasteful" vibrato. In the Air section?

Think of how Maurice Andre* (insert your favourite cornet/trumpet soloist here) would play it!!

At lessons I had with Howard Snell, I used to have to "vocalise" melodies for him, i.e sing the melodies, and I ain't no singer!!! and then try to reflect this when playing.

Just my tuppence worth.

(some translations : colour is English for the american color!! , tuppence, 2 cents!)
    David Quinlan

Pianissimo User
    Manchester UK
    Nice one Lara - takes some chutspa to post something like that. However its not the eclipse that sounds nice - its you and I suspect that you could get a similar sound from any horn - but the eclipse will help.
    "I was minding my own business when something says to me, "you ought to blow trumpet." I have just been trying ever since." - Miles Davis

Eclipse LR/Warburton 3MD
    Olds Custom/Warburton 3M
    Eclipse Red Flugel/Bach 1 1/2C
    B&H "78" cornet/ DW2B

Forte User
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

Carnival of Venice recording

I am impressed!!!!!!!!

Your tone was superb. Your execution was splendid. It is obvious that this was played from memory, GOOD.

The comment by Camelbrass is arbitrary. I was taught to keep my fingers on the buttons, but, my friend, Mike Bowman,( principal trumpet with the Grand Rapids Symphony ) here in Michigan advocates the method you use, with his fingers leaving the buttons with every note. I don't know what is best, but, for me to play the Arbans variations of the same number requires that my fingers NEVER leave the bottons. Perhaps this is because I have hands and fingers like a blacksmith. Mike has small slender fingers like you, so, perhaps with your slender fingers this will work for you. It certainly doesn't for me. Like Dr. Phil is known to question his patients," how does that work for you "? The name of the game is to produce the sound that you as the player of the horn is most pleased with. This will normally please your audience, and, that is who you are ultimately playing for.
    Couturier trumpet
    York Wizard by Couturier cornet
    York Master Model trumpet
    York Elite trumpet
    York Airflow cornet
    Conn Concert Grand Cornet
    King Liberty trumpet
    Reynolds Professional cornet
    Bohm & Meinl professional trumpet
    Conn New World Symphony trumpet
    Olds Special cornet Los Angeles
    B&H Sovereign cornet