Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss If it didn't cost you $200 to do it, how many of you . . . in the General forums; Tom, I called Flip a couple of years ago to talk to him about his C trumpet. The restocking fee ...
    Pianissimo User
    Tom,

I called Flip a couple of years ago to talk to him about his C trumpet. The restocking fee did make a big difference to me. I had bought a Smith-Watkins on faith (stupid, I know). It's not a bad horn, actually a good horn, just absolutely not for me. I took somewhat of a bath selling it. I didn't want to shell out more money just to try something that might not work out. I had already played a demo horn of Scott Laskey's for free and decided to get my Bach's reworked by him instead. Not a bad decision I might add. My two Bach's are fantastic horns that I wouldn't part with.

On the other hand, like someone else has already noted, I understand Flip (or anyone else) not wanting to take the risk of a horn getting damaged, or someone taking advantage of the trial period and not returning it on time and not getting even a restocking fee. That doesn't seem fair to me either. Hell, he probably doesn't have enough in stock to ship to everyone who would want to try one for free (count me in :) ).

I'm not sure if my ramble helps you and Flip at all. I'm sure from Flip's view I'm not a very good prospect. I'm not in the market, I love my current horns and they are close to the opposite end of the spectrum from Flip's horns (bore size, resistance, etc.). Of course, you never know until you do try something......

FWIW,
    Marty

New Friend
    Tom,
    Seems like PC King mailed out a $1000 Z--- horn around the country last
    year and just asked for shipping charges. 'Course the loss of that horn
    would not have been a major show stopper for her I'm sure. I'm not
    sure I'd mail out a $2000-3000 horn to my sister to try out much less
    some of the winnies that inhabit the TM or TH sites. I would really like to
    try out a gold plated short WT cornet with a real cornet mouthpeice but I
    can't buy one this year. How about mailing one (or several) to a known 'good guy' in the big cities and let them be a contact for the locals
    to try the horns. You know any 'good guys' in Houton, DFW, Ok City, KC or the Windy???

-Sandy

Would people who might seriously consider a WT like it if we did indeed set up a "tour" of a Wild Thing trumpet?

It might be fun!

Of course, mayby calling it a "tour" wouldn't be the best choice of words . . . a "Wild Thing Joy Ride" might be more appropriate!!!

What do y'all think about a "Joy Ride?"

It might be a great way for people to finally be able to experience a really, really awesome trumpet!!!

Tom

Pianissimo User
    i'm in houston. i want to try the wild thing.

currently i play a zkt 1600 wb trumpet.

if i liked the wthing better i'd buy it.

Mezzo Forte User bigaggietrumpet's Avatar
    Well, I am actually lookin' for a new horn anyway, but the problem is that I'm lookin' for a new classical horn. Currently I'm leanin' toward the Schilke S22L, but if Flip could get one to College Station, TX I would more than love to give it a fair trial. But as to the restocking fee, I bought all of my books for class this semester with about as much money, so yeah, that is a bit of an obstacle.
    Michael Smith
    Hullabaloo: The official band of Texas A&M Basketball
    Kanstul 1537/ Schilke 14
    LA Olds Studio

Piano User
    Along the lines of a tour would be tagging along with a horn or two at many of the trumpet events that occur in the U.S.

As an example, in March here in Carson City, Nevada is the 'Band-O-Rama' with dozens of high school bands competing. There are lots of good (adult) trumpet players attending to see what the kids can do. This would be a natural venue to have a Wild Thing tryout booth.

Bill
    Gabriel is NOT a woodwind player!

New Friend
    I would be interested in trying one if there were no restocking fee. I'm actually in the incipient stages of a search for a new instrument, so I'm looking for opportunities to play as many horns as possible.
    Rob
    Yamaha 6345HGSII
    Monette B2
    Yamaha Bobby Shew Lead

Hi,

Welcome to the TM website!

Come on up to the "Wild Thing Wild Ride" section of the forum, read the rules and instructions on how to contact me, and sign up for a spot on the tour!

The horn just went out yesterday and is on it's way up the East Coast.

There are people hot to try it in Texas too and it will be coming your a way in a few short weeks.

Love to have ya give it a whirl!

Sincerely,

Tom Turner

US representative for Flip Oakes "Wild Thing" trumpets

Pianissimo User
    This is definately a good idea. In a given week, I'll play in about 5-6 different playing situations, ranging from legit work to pep-band screaming.

I'm definately in the market for a new horn. The WT might be out of my budget, but who knows. If I like it enough, I could come up with a way....

Is this particular horn going to be up for sale after the joy-ride is over?

The Chief: I'm definately in the market for a new horn. The WT might be out of my budget, but who knows. If I like it enough, I could come up with a way....
    Hi,

I know what you mean! When I got a chance to play a WT I simply HAD to get it! When the perfect horn . . . for YOU . . . comes along, this is what happens. Maybe YOUR perfect horn is the Wild Thang. The only way to know is to try one, and this will be your perfect opportunity!

Is this particular horn going to be up for sale after the joy-ride is over?
    Yes it will . . . but the joy ride will never end for it's lucky owner!

Sincerely,

Tom

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information