my community college has recently had some financial troubles as
a result of poor judgement on the behalf of the administrators.

The school counted the summer classes enrollment twice and thought that more students had enrolled and received more money from the gov. after spending the money the school figured out what happened and is now 4.2 mill in the hole.

just last week, there were meetings between the admin and the board, here are the results: beginning fall 2006 semester
17 full time teachers will be layed off
all part time teachers will also face the same fate.
8 programs will be either eliminated or reduced including music, agriculture, geography and antropology, admin of justice. I believe the sign language classes will also be eliminated. as will mechanics programs

this is in an area rich in agriculture( imperial Valley) many students here are part of that life, many other students attending the college that i know are pursuing some job in mechanics. The geo and anthro classes are requirements to be transfered into a 4yr university.
I myself am a music major and the classes i need will be eliminated including all the performance classes. the only ones left are mus 100(basic theory) and Mus 102(mus appreciation) the gen. ed classes.

just thought i'd let you guys know what's up in my neck of the woods.