Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Cornyandy
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Improve G to C above the staff in the General forums; Hi everyone, i'm argentinian so excuse me if my english is not good. i'll try to do my best. I ...
    New Friend

Improve G to C above the staff

Hi everyone, i'm argentinian so excuse me if my english is not good. i'll try to do my best. I play trumpet since one year and a half ago. I cover up great all the instruments range (From low F# to high C) perfectly, but i feel that from G above the staff to high C the tone doesn't feel so "secure" and good. Also when i play live i can't play too much time in that interval of notes because it causes me fatigue very quickly, so i try to use that notes in "emotive moments" of my solos or only when the sheet music indicates. It's a simple matter, what was your experience, or in what way do you guys recommend working that part of the register so i can play there comfortably and not get tired to quickly. if what i wrote is not very clear let me know so i can write it again.

Pianissimo User
    Upstate Ny

Re: Improve G to C above the staff

Welcome ! You message is quite clear. I recommend that you play in your target register everyday. Not necessarily for large amounts of time, but enough to let your chops get accustomed to playing up there. Also exercise number one in the Clarke book (double octave chromatic scales) is good. Also, lip slurs. The Collins Advanced Lips Slurs is a great book for slurs. I too am working on this same thing in the same register. Do you have a trumpet teacher? Remember that the more information you give, the better idea we (trumpet people) can try to answer your questions. Happy playing!!!
    There is nothing to it. You only have to hit the right notes at the right time and the instrument plays itself.

---Johann Sebastian Bach---

New Friend

Hi Joe. Yes i take private lessons and i'm also in the first year of the classical trumpet career from the Buenos Aires school of music. My actual teacher does not work with books and he encourages me to identify my own personal playing questions and build my own exercises to solve my problems. If you are talking about the clarke's "technical studies for cornet" I use to play chapter 1 and 2 completely with my old teacher (he died in march, he was 90) but now im following the guidance of the new one. He's one of the most regarded jazz and session trumpet players from here. When i practice there is no problem hitting all those notes but the problem is when i play live or when ir practice. The fact is that it results difficult to me to hit high C (almost ever i miss and hit high B) and the other notes sound "skinny" and i cannot stay to much in that upper range. I hope this info will help

Forte User
    Fort Wayne, IN

You really seem to be doing quite well for having been playing a year and a half. For that portion of your range to improve, time, commitment, intelligent practice, and sound instruction are what is required. You really seem to be on the right path, you now simply need to continue. As you surely know by now, becoming a trumpet player cannot happen overnight. I am two years into my trumpet comeback. My reliable playable range is up to the first C above the staff and my reliable playable D is nearly there. You will probably get to this point sooner, being younger and having a little more time to commit to practice, just do not neglect all of the rest of your lower range. Best wishes to you as you progress!

Getzen 900 Eterna Classic, Leblanc 707 Sonic (Metzler Brass restoration)
    Bach Model 180SL229W30 Stradivarius C Trumpet
    Holton Collegiate Bb Cornet (heirloom)
    Blessing Artist Bb Flugelhorn

I had the same problem with undershooting or sometimes overshooting the intended note. The only way to fix the problem is to practice "up there" until you are comfortable with it. Chromatic ascension is a very good way to do this one half tone at a time. Long tones, while boring, played softly in the middle register (G-C in the staff) will also help with your upper register. It takes a lot of control to play a soft note well and long.
    Knowledge is freedom, and ignorance is slavery - Miles Davis

The difference between a beginner and pro mouthpiece is practice - tobylou8

Nobody has learned how to play the trumpet. It's endless. - Maynard Ferguson

Don't be afraid to try something different. The Ark was built by an amateur and the Titanic was built by a group of experienced engineers.

By the inch it's a cinch, by the yard, it's hard!

Fortissimo User
    East Yorkshire

Quote Originally Posted by joaquin View Post
    Hi everyone, i'm argentinian so excuse me if my english is not good.
    Don't worry about that most of the members on here are American and thus their English is woeful
    tobylou8 and Shadrack like this.
    Andrew Sapcote

Yamaha 4335 GSII Trumpet
    Conn Victor Cornet
    Weltklang Rotary Trumpet
    DEG Signiture Cornet Silver Plate
    B and S Sonora Trumpet
    Besson Brevete Flugel Horn
    Monette Silver 6 Mouthpiece
    Gear For Music Basic Euphonium
    Saving up for a Flugel.

Thread Information