Trumpet Discussion Discuss improvement? in the General forums; a happy beginning, i think... i've been playing since i was 9, now 23, at a farily high standard, but ...
    New Friend

a happy beginning, i think...

i've been playing since i was 9, now 23, at a farily high standard, but have known for a long time i've ben using too much pressure (the perils of being self-taught!) have just for a couple of day really succeeded in realxing everything, and my endurance has doubled. literally.

however, my range has dropped down about a tone and a half. i assume that my embouchure will have to readjust over a fair while befor i can start to increase it again, and that i've not dropped one bad habit for another? (i know it's hard to tell from a story but my chops are relaxed, i'm breathing better, my sound is deeper and there are massive gains in endurance)

so any old hands reckon i've finally started doing something right? and are we talking months before my range picks up again?

a fairly happy trumpeteer!

Monroe Ct.

Re: improvement?

I think you already are seeing the gains. You only lost a couple of notes. I think it will come back quickly.

Success is measured in months and years, not days. You may think that something great is happening, but without working with you in person, I have no idea if you are only using less pressure or have changed your geometry of playing, or anything else.

Ask anybody who learned how to smoke how long it took until that habit was broke and you will know what you are up against with your home brew trumpet style.

The best favor you could do yourself would be to get a real teacher to straighten your playing out. Without having the "big picture" of what is really going on with your playing, I wouldn't mess with anything. Your chances of getting worse are as great if not greater than getting better.

If you do a search on "daily routine" you will find the best tips to NOT messing your playing up. Practicing in an intelligent way gently restructures just about all evils.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown

Hi, jikles101!

If you can play twice as long with you can make twice as much music! The temporary loss of a minor third in range is trumped by technique and beauty.
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

Greensboro, NC

Do you have any good teachers near you?
    Bob Grier, An Old Pro
    Web Cam trumpet & jazz improvisation lessons

Forte User
    Clarksburg, WV

Man, are you kiddin'
    You are headed on the right path in my estimation. Just take it slow.
    Remember, You're going through a big change (reducing the pressure) and Rome wasn't built in a day. The range will come back, however, this time you'll notice more fluency (if that's the right word) on your horn.

Levittown , NY

I'm with Markie on this one, if your doing the right thing and seeing improvement , hang in there and give it time to develop .

Thread Information